Hot water but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping someone can help me? I have an oil fired boiler which seems to work fine but the last few days my rads have not been coming on when timer is set. If i switch off the hot water then then the heating i can hear the diverter switch change and when switched back on the heating comes on as normal. Not sure if its related but the day before the issue i had only luke warm water? I have two diverter switches one for HW and the other for HW, i figured that the problem could be the CH diverter and have switched it to manual, which appears to work but rads dont seem to be getting very hot untill i manually switch the HW to the off position where the rads then heat up as normal. Am i correct in thinking i need a new diverter switch on the heating side or possibly a new diverter motor? Any help would much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok first of all you must be talking a bout zone valves. You have one for your HW and one for CH. You have manually opened the CH zone valve but only when you turn off the HW is when your radiators get up to the correct temperature?

Yes sorry 2 zone valves. Yes thats correct i have manually opened the CH valve with the lever on the side and that seems to allow me to have hot water and heating can be controlled by the thermostat dial on the wall. (timer is set to auto for both) trouble is if the CH valve is set to auto it doesnt come on for rads via the timer. Hot water seems fine.

Let’s make this simple. Before you manually opened the CH zone valve you had no heating? So if this is the case you need a new zone valve regardless of what other problems are occurring. Change that and report back if you have anymore problems.

Sponsored Links
So if this is the case you need a new zone valve
Or roomstat or time clock or zone valve motor.
If i switch off the hot water then then the heating i can hear the diverter switch change and when switched back on the heating comes on as normal.
Not sure that I understand this . You seem to be saying that CH works but everything else points to heating not working.
Do I understand correctly that:
HW OFF
CH valve manually open
Rads get hot

From what I was to understand from the description the zone valve wasn’t hitting the micro switch until it was manually opened. Then to turn off the heating he changed the zone valve lever back.

zone valve wasn’t hitting the micro switch until it was manually opened
They don't normally operate the switch unless "thrown" open. In the manual position the switch is usually off. Of course he may have some bizarre make of valve.

No offense to the guy but because of the bizarre situation or explanation given it’s very hard to acess the problem without being there to see.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back