Valliant EcoTec plus 824 - test case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here. I thought I would share this with everyone for thoughts plus for information - I will hopefully soon be able to post the solution.

We have a 7 year old Valliant EcoTec Plus 824 combi boiler.

Issues:

Had heat in certain radiators (Upstairs bar one) downstairs heating barely working, but no hot water

One new pump and diverter valve later

Had Hot water but no heat. Radiators were barely luke warm

One power flush later and cleaning of boiler

Had heat everywhere all radiators working - but water luke warm and when the hot water was switched on the radiators began to heat up.

Another diverter valve/PCB and re check of the secondary heat exchanger (which was and still is crystal clear from power flush and cleaning) we are still in the situation, where we have luke warm water and when the hot water is switched on, all the rads heat up. Heat is being passed though the pipes to the rads when the diverter valve should be switched to HW. The guys running all this are from an enormous and well trusted organisation.

They are stumped and are now calling out a technician from Valliant to visit in 2 days time. Any thoughts? I will hopefully be giving the solution in the near future.

Sponsored Links
Does your boiler have the rubber pipes, they've been known to block up!

It just needs proper diagnostic testing.

Instead of parts changing!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It was the electric wires going to diverter valve. They had been crimped and the voltage being sent was not enough for the valve to Open and close fully.

When the the valve was opened and closed manually by hand there was no heat being lost into the radiators when the hot water was turned on.

The wires have been ordered for Monday when the work will be completed.

Thanks all for any input. It's the way of the world unfortunately - car mechanics, Computer technicians etc etc nobody fixes things any more everybody has first and foremost become fitters and if that don't work replace the whole item.

Thanks all for any input. It's the way of the world unfortunately - car mechanics, Computer technicians etc etc nobody fixes things any more everybody has first and foremost become fitters and if that don't work replace the whole item.

That is your experience, obviously not a good one. There are many very good engineers out there.unfortunatly there are a lot more parts changers

An if an that's a big if it's the wires u will need a new PCb, ..if the original PCb was changed , and the old valve that was leaking was still connected when powered up it will have taken the new PCb out in the blink of an eye.. This is a known fault an causes ur symptoms

It was the perfect storm.

The filter next to the heat plate had some muck not much but enough for there to be a problem. There was also a problem with the diverter valve and the pcb needed to be changed . Lastly the wire from the pcb also needed to be changed.

Regardless I have hot water when needed without the rads coming on and the radiators are working a treat......I hope....they don't go belly up.

This last note is for the guy or girl like me who's is in trouble surfing the net. Make sure you have a boiler technician to hand; your friendly plumber is not enough, Needs to be a boiler technician you can trust, or like me have a contract with a certain organisation. All this time and parts would have cost me a small fortune. Many thanks all for all comments in the past weeks

Ur welcome, the first guy caused the problem, if the valve leaks u change the valve check it then the PCb not the other way round ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back