No hot water after joiner put screw through pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Another problem. yesterday the joiner put a screw through a pipe - I think it was a radiator pipe. His apprentice plumber son was with him and he stopped the leak by fitting, what looks like either a service valve or an isolating valve. The CH now works fine but we have no hot water.

I have just switched on the immersion and the water is getting hot.

Is this a coincidence, is there a boiler problem or could he have done something yesterday to cause the problem.

There is water running to the hot water taps - but as I say it is cold (unless immersion is switched on).

The radiators have been bled. Normally, when we have the boiler on HW only the bathroom radiator gets hot. It still gets hot but no hot water coming through.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
what system do you have. regards to having a 3 port or 2port valve and pump.id take a wild guess and say you have gravity primarys and pumped central heating.

sounds like he as caused a air lock where the hot water pipes go into the cylinder two pipes one above the other on the side of the cylinder should be hot there is sometimes bleed valve there try that if not undo the nut on the top pipe very gently until you hear air coming out when water appears tighten up good luck

Sponsored Links
Easiest and safest would be to call the joiner and tell him to sort out the problem he created.

Thanks. Sorry I'm not an expert so all I can tell you is that there are 3 pipes going into the immersion tank. One right on the top, one further down on the side, which is hot because the immersion heater is switched on at the moment, and one at the bottom which is cold. The one in the top is also hot.

If there was an air lock would it allow hot water to run when the immersion was on but not when the boiler was on ?

Can't see a bleed valve - but I'll ring my plumber tomorrow and ask him to take a look.

As for the joiner - well he came as part of a package deal with the builder - shan't be using him again. I rang him last night and he couldn't care less !

airlock near cylinder

Just thought I`d like to say that I thought that before Ben, if it turns out to be wrong, that`s why I didn`t actually post it. Thought I would let everyone know that. If it is right then that`s what I was about to post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back