Boiler heating up but not getting through to central heating or hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A bit puzzled at the moment.
I removed a section of central heating pipe that had a screw put through it.
Since then we have had no hot water or central heating. To solve the issue so far I have done the following:
- Bled all the radiators (alot of air released from those near the fixed pipe bit now all radiators are running water through them - but not hot)
- Drained the boiler at the release valve to see if any air was trapped.
- Turned up boiler and heating to full.
- checked diverter valves and they are working as normal.

Also took to front off boiler and at the source it is heating water (pipe hot to touch) but a few feet down the pipe it is only warm and then a few feet more it is not warm at all.

Anything else I can try.

Thanks on advance

Kev

Sponsored Links
Hello Kev,

what type of setup? Ie; Combi boiler, system boiler, heat only? Controls?

As above, do you have header tanks and a hot water cylinder?
Is the pump running when the controller is calling for heat?

Set up attached.
I have reset my nest panel and hot water is now leaving the boiler but not making it to the diverter valve pipes.

Attachments

• 20230725_123024.jpg
    20230725_123024.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230725_124427.jpg
    20230725_124427.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Sounds like there’s still trapped air, possibly at the pump, and the makeshift air vent (the drain off pointing upwards) at the cylinder. There‘s a possibility that removing the cover on that boiler requires checking for safety afterwards too.

When you say 'diverter' valves presumably you mean the motorised valves in pic 2?
Is the pump running? Are the valves operating?

Unbelievably, it was just the reseting of the nest controller that got it working. There's a day I will never get back.

Thanks for the suggestions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back