No hot water-boiler pilot light on but main burner goes off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Potterton Profile Boiler- hot water/ central heating comes on at start but quickly goes off leaving tepid hot water/ no central heating. Pilot light on boiler continues but main burner goes off after a few minutes.

Checked the gas valve (honeywell VR4700e). When the main burner is working at the start, the solenoid for the main burner is receiving power in one of the wires (blue wire -230V) . When the main burner goes off, both the connections at the solonoid for the main burner (blue and white wire) shows it has full 230V. I suspect the solonoid is gone and needs replacing.

I am new to this- Am I right? Also is replacing a solonoid on the honeywell VR 4700E gas valve an easy job?

NB- the solonoid is a red in colour and is 1 inch round cylinder.

Update- I tried pressing the reset button (under the boiler thermostat) yesterday night and the boiler fired properly. However I had to press the reset button again today morning for the boiler to fire proprerly again.

Is this something that requires me to call in the experts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back