overheat trips out boiler & pilot goes out

MMMMM, thats a bold statement!! I agree the classic is a decent boiler but would struggle to say it is more reliable than Worchesters of the similar era i.e. Juniors.
But as you say each to there own, but I personally would NEVER install an IDEAL in my own home. The company has gone to the dogs, not enough investment in new technology etc. This opinion is shared by my 20+ collegues.

Sponsored Links
Personally neither would I or anybody i know touch ideal after what has gone on with the icos and isor and the minimiser before them.
But the classic is an exception.
As for reliabilty over worcester or vaillant , do any of those 2 makers have a boiler that is still around after 15 plus years or have they done 3 or 4 models in this time.
Worcester junior one of the most unreliable boilers made, over heat stats constantly going and the heatbank scaling up big time and not exactly small and compact

Must only scale up in your area mate never had that prob but I am in a soft water area. As for Worchesters lasting more than 15 years what about the 240?? cracking boiler.....................IMO

Sounds as though the guys mind is made up though, good luck. Would you buy a car if all the rest from the manufacturer were crap????#

Food for thought?? I can assure you that no boiler now will last 38 years no matter howmany repairs are done to it, just not designed to I'm afraid.

YEP 240 good boiler but i was meaning still in production.
Last 502 i saw must have been at least 15 years ago i am amazed one is still running.
Oldest boilers i still see regular are baxi 572`s circa 1972 and the odd Gloworm galaxie same era.

Sponsored Links
Namsag & Robbo - as well as solving my problem down to the stat, confirming cant get a replacement hence new boiler needed, recommending a cheaper version of the ideal and where to get one, I have enjoyed your eloquent and well put opinions and counter opinions.

You both seem to agree that the classic is a very reliable boiler. Efficient -it seems only 2/3% outside sedbuk A, has a track record of reliability of around 15 years and still going (from your comments) & in addition you agree is one of the few boilers still in production to have such an etsblished reliable track record.

So between you your combined comments make it an obvious choice for me (all i want is reasonably high efficiency when balanced with low tech, few parts, low maintenance and reliable established track record).

I gather it is also installation friendly, so will probably fit & plumb myself and get a corgi in to gas up and final commissioning/checks etc.

I really can't thank you both enough, in mere hours the problem pinpointed and choice of replacement boiler (& sourced) nailed down.

A genuine and sincere thanks for your time and advice, best wishes and regards Graham.

I've fitted a couple of the Optia HE boilers.

They seem excellent budget boilers and still fit inside a kitchen cupboard.

Cheers for that Dave. The only downside is mine is in the corner space under my worktop - not perhaps a big problem in itself, but add in a 50 year old 17 1/2 stoner to the equation and i must get some earplugs for the love of my life ;)

Hi gas man "GAZ" - lol too! - their must be something about "GAZ", Sheffield & Boilers. Thanks for the link too, not got my yellow pages out yet, price looks good - think I may be in touch with a certain auction site's Mr NICE later today.
Cheers "GAZ"kazdiy / Graham

Just in case you have an ideal world ch502 and reading this in the next month or two with a view to finding parts, drop me a line, once I have fitted my new one I will hang on to the old one for a little while, all bits working with exception of the stat (modulator in installation booklet).

Will be sad to see the old girl go.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back