no hot water from shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have one of those multifunction steam shower enclosures which has been working perfectly untill the last few days. Cold water comes out fine but as you turn the knob towards the hot water side water flow gradually stops.

There are 2 knobs on the panel one for water temperature and the other for the different shower functions. knobs do not pull out simple turn.

we have hot water cylinder tank in loft no visible shower pump anywhere unless there is an integral one.

could there be a shower pump problem, air lock or blockage?

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
I will try have a look, There isn't any pipework exposed but i'm sure there is a panel somehwere to remove and expose the pipework.

If it it not the filter do you have any other suggestions?

You need to determine whether or not there is a hot water supply to the unit.

It seems likely that there is, because you haven't mentioned lack of hot water anywhere else.

If hot water is reaching it, and any filter present is not blocked, then I would suspect the mixer valve.

You asked about a pump - when you run water in the shower, can you hear a pump running? If not then there isn't one.

I really don't know what people do when these shower/steam box things go wrong. On average they seem to have about eighteen times the number of components in any other shower, and everything is imported and of unknown origin. It seems to me that owning one is just an expensive way of ensuring that you get bitten in the bum.

If the mixer valve thermostat has failed, and if you can't get a replacement, then I reckon you'd have to replace the valve with a known-branded one that you can buy locally to you from a reputable merchant and for which spare parts will be available for a long time.

Sponsored Links
The enclosure was here when we bought our house and hasn't even got a make displayed on it to look up components which makes it difficult.

Cant hear a pump - so probably isnt one. water tanks in loft so probably wouldn't need one as we got gravity

We do have hot water supply everywhere else so could well be a blockage with shower. Think half the battle is going to be looking for the pipework.

Will unblocking simply be just removing and cleaning the filter if there is one?

Thanks

if there is no blockage could the mixer valves have been damaged buy very hot water as our hot water can be scalding sometimes -broken thermostat on cylinder?

The enclosure was here when we bought our house and hasn't even got a make displayed on it to look up components which makes it difficult.
My commiserations. :(

Cant hear a pump - so probably isnt one.
Or it's been destroyed (see below).

Will unblocking simply be just removing and cleaning the filter if there is one?
Yes.

if there is no blockage could the mixer valves have been damaged buy very hot water as our hot water can be scalding sometimes
Possibly. Depends on the valve and the temperature.

Also, bear in mind that a pump will probably be damaged by prolonged pumping of anyting hotter than 65°C.

broken thermostat on cylinder?
You'll save yourself a lot of money by fixing that without delay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back