No hot water heating fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ideal classic in the kitchen fires up when the heating is needed but if the hot water is required the boiler does not fire. The honeywell timer switch lights when put on continuous but thats all. I can get hot water if i use the imersion heater. Any ideas please
Thanks
BR

Sponsored Links
How are you controlling the hot water function? Is there a cylinder thermostat?

The hot water is controlled by a honeywell timer, although evan putting it on continuous does not work. There is a stat on the cylinder, its white with a black dial which sits it a hole cut in the jacket set at about 55.

Thanks
BR

OK. The cylinder thermostat is therefore a suspect, as is any motorised valve to which it connects.

Do you have a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
he probably thinks that its just a matter of muttering a few words or flicking a switch.

In the real world its a matter of logically testing every part involved and intelligently deducing where the fault lies.

Thats why we charge £84 !!!

Tony

Softus, you would have enjoyed the Grunfoss Pumps day yesterday at Leighton! Nice lunch too!

Tony

OK. The cylinder thermostat is therefore a suspect, as is any motorised valve to which it connects.

Do you have a multimeter?

Yes i have a multi meter. The stat has T70 on it and the wire goes to a large white box(Randall)

Thanks
BR

bunser said:
Yes i have a multi meter. The stat has T70 on it and the wire goes to a large white box(Randall)
The principle of what you should do next is one of things that Agile pointed out, which is a systematic approach to fault-finding. This is made easier when you know and understand what each component does, but the simplest check to start with is to confirm that the thermostat is switching when it should.

Electrically isolate the system first, then carefully remove the cover from the white box. Identify the wires that lead to the thermostat, and with fingers out and the power back on, test that there is 240V between earth and, in turn, each of those wires.

If one of them doesn't show 240V, then it's likely to be the switched live, so turn the thermostat to maximum and measure again. If still no voltage, then replace the thermostat. If there is, then move on to the next component.

Once again, take care when the live terminals are exposed.

Moderator 5 said:
If you stop making offensive posts, I'll stop deleting them.
Are you capable of pointing out what was offensive in the post that you just deleted?

For example, is it offensive to point out when someone is advertising for nothing?

Or is it offensive to point out when someone has been entirely unhelpful, in a potentially offensive way, to the OP?

Thanks very much for your help, I will get the electrician from work to do the tests you mention. i will post results as it may help others.
BR

It would be really handy if that electrician knew something about heating systems. Not that it's essential, because the wiring is basic, but he would have a head start on someone who wasn't familiar with the conventions and components involved.

Softus said:
Moderator 5 said:
If you stop making offensive posts, I'll stop deleting them.
Are you capable of pointing out what was offensive in the post that you just deleted?
tumbleweed.gif

Apparently not.

Softus said:
For example, is it offensive to point out when someone is advertising for nothing?
In that case, I would point out that the following was a free advert:

Agile said:
Thats why we charge £84 !!!
... since nobody asked "how much"; and if they had done then a moderator (or breezer :rolleyes:) would have jumped on it for breaching one of the forum rules.

Softus said:
Or is it offensive to point out when someone has been entirely unhelpful, in a potentially offensive way, to the OP?
In that case, I would point out that the following was entirely unhelpful, in a potentially offensive way, to the OP:

Agile said:
he probably thinks that its just a matter of muttering a few words or flicking a switch.

The electricain tested the tank stat which was fine then tested the motorized valve for hot water and found the motor to be shot. I got a central heating chap to sort it for me which was half the price agile mentioned. All is now fine.

Thanks for your help Softus :D

You're welcome. I'm glad you sorted it without the need for a jumped up radio engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back