No Hot Water - Only Lukewarm

Its possible for a competent boiler engineer to diagnose the problem in front of the boiler but that often requires a temperature survey in each operating mode.

I find it very difficult to accept that a Baxi staff engineer really does not have a sensor as they would normally carry 10-20 in the van. They are easy to check with a meter anyway. I expect he was not confident in his assessment of the problem.

Baxi's inability to diagnose the fault withing a reasonable timescale should entitle you to a refund of the payment in my view.

You have never said where you are located as its possible there is someone here who feels confident enough to come to help you knowing that if he fails to diagnose the problem then he will be named and shamed on the forum!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Part of my problem is that I'm dealing with a sub-contractor who can't arrange to do the work until Baxi have Ok'd it and sent the part (which takes at least 4 days).

Initally I did contact a local guy but he said to call baxi as it would be cheaper than him doing it. When the second engineer turned up he couldn't find the part that Baxi sent but luckily had two on the van (had waited 4 days for the part to be delivered and a further 4 for engineer visit - company is Paynes?). Will be complaining to Baxi but have to do it in writing.

The very first guy said it was diverter but Paynes said it wasn't.

I'm located in kent (nr Brands Hatch), but I'm loathe to spend out any more money as I've paid them £320 to fix it and for a years warranty (domestic & general - but I assume handled by Baxi themselves/paynes/ some other contractor)

Is it feasible to check the diverter valve?

Its difficult for a non boiler engineer to check the possible fault that yours may have.

Its the dynamic temperature survey!

Since you should get the Baxi fee back you would be starting again.

This just demonstrates the unfortunate lack of technical skills that some boiler repairers have.

Tony

Another update. Paynes returned yesterday with the new 3 way valve (didn't fit a DHW Presure differential valve). Fitted it but now it's more confusing. Apart from frying the PCB (luckily he had a new one on the van) the hot water has got slightly warmer, but if you run the hot tap, turn it off for a few seconds and then turn it back on you get HOT water for about 5 seconds before it turns lukewarm again. The guy from Paynes also managed to fit the PCB wrongly so when my wife tried to turn the heating on it didn't work (we have relatives coming today so my wife was in tears). Called Paynes back,by this time it's 5:50pm, and they basically said that they've referred it to Baxi and there's nothing more they can do. When I pointed out that their guy had just completely broken the boiler they just said it was part of the fault but they were unable to fix it. Called Baxi, they didn't give a s*it again, passed me to domestic and general who passed me back to Baxi to be told "we can have an engineer there on the 28th"!!!!!!!

Luckily when I had a look when I got in the dimlo had pushed the heating control knob into the PCB at the wrong position so when it was on Max on the front it was actually on zero.

So to re-cap,

I still have no hot water
Paynes have changed both temp sensors, the DHW Heat Exchanger,3 way valve and now the PCB.

Where do I go now. Don't spose anyone knows someone at Baxi that I can rant at? Doesn't really work with the Engineer call centre.

Sorry to go on.

Michael

Sponsored Links
More info needed
To start with

Temp of cold water in and hot water out (measured at boiler) with red lights on 80*

flow rate of hot water

is it a 24 or 28 model

Long shot - have you had a new mixer valve fitted to shower, bath, bidet, basin or sink???

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Performa 28

Not an engineer but will try and get these readings. Do they need to be taken from the water itself or could they be taken from the pipework?

Flow rate I'll try and measure this weekend. Being so close to Xmas the Wife's organised load's of Relatives to some round over the next few days.

Haven't had any new mixer valves added anywhere but could you elaborate on why that might be an issue?

The temp reading of the hot water needs to be at the point it leaves the boiler

Flow rate, use an old milk container and time it. eg 20 seconds to fill a 4litre container, this needs to be accurate as possible

The hot water may be blending with cold water after leaving the boiler through a mixer :!:

This is a very simple boiler and anyone employed to fix boilers should be able to manage it.

This Paynes seem to employ complete moo-moos. It sounds as if they put on as more faults than they fix.

Its a pity you did not start with a competent engineer or it would have been sorted out the same day!

Tony

I'll take the temp at the point it leaves the boiler by measuring the temp of the pipe as it exits the boiler. The boiler's in the garage so it's easy to access the pipes.

Flow rate I'll do if I get a chance tonight but the wife will probably throw a fit if I try it.

I was thinking whilst trying to sleep last night that the water might be mixing somehow. Where would be most likely. If I'm right with my pipe layout the water travels upstairs first to the bathroom, before returning to the kitchen downstairs. All of the taps exhibit the same problem as does the shower. I was thinking it might be the shower (the oldest of the mixers) but it's embedded in a wall and I think the wife might flip out if I suggest digging it out.

If its hot leaving the boiler then see if you can turn off the cold water where it enters the boiler.

If you can do this then there should be nothing coming out of the hot taps. If there still is a flow then there is a cross coupling somewhere. Most often in mixer showers but can be other things.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back