No hot water: Unvented Santon Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Recently I noticed my hot water running slightly mild in temps and then eventually cold. I have a Santon Premier Plus Unvented hot water system, which has a top booster and a bottom part. For normal use over the last 5 years I've been using the lower larger part of the tank on a timer to come on twice a day.

I've just tried the upper part booster part of the tank and it seems to work in heating the water.

I'd be grateful if you have any ideas on what might be up with the lower part? A neighbour suggested that it might be the thermostat / limescale.

Cheers
Iain

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_182749689.jpg
    PXL_20240407_182749689.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
As it's what called a direct system then it has 2 immersion elements - one in the top 1/3 as a booster for smaller amounts of HW usually on a boost times switch and the lower main immersion element to heat the whole cylinder on a timer as you suggest.

If the lower immersion heater is no longer heating the cylinder then it can really be only one of 2 things. The timer has failed and no longer supplies power to the immersion element or the element/stat itself has failed and needs to be replaced. Both would need an electrician and/or a plumber to ascertain and repair.

Last edited:
On our unvented cylinder the thermostat had failed. It unplugged from the end of the immersion heater and was easy to change, but ours doesn’t look like yours. Maybe removing the cover would help

As Madrab says above, an electrician could figure it out

Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back