NO HOT WATER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old Ideal Vulcan Rs55 boiler with gravity fed hot water and pump based central heating. I've recently fit 2 new radiators, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs which were missing when I bought this house. I drained most of water out while installing them, so I have bled all the radiators a few times since installing them. Even while bleeding them, I had an upstairs old rad that did not bleed a few times (even though it was hot and I think more than 3 quarters full) and when I put the boiler on water only and shut most of rads, water came out of it and I assumed it had bled.
The problem is that I don't get hot water now and not all the radiators are getting hot evenly. The new downstairs rad does not get hot at all.
The worst problem is that if I have my manual timer set to NO HEAT, WATER TWICE, it still sends water to a few radiators and the tap water is still cold, copper tank is also cold and the pipe feeding hot water to copper tank on its top is also cold.
Timely help and bright ideas would be highly appreciated.

Many regards!

psarinuk

email address removed, these can be shown in your profile

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
you have an airlock in the gravity side :D

Thanks Kev!

I kind of guessed that but there is no way I could try how to get rid of airlock on the gravity side. All I have is a copper tank with a pipe coming out of its bottom and fed into the boiler and then another pipe of which a "T" junction puts hot water on top of the tank.

I also have a couple of cold pipes being connected to the boiler that come from upstairs but not single air bleed valve has been found on them yet!

Thanks once again,
P.

Your going to have to boil it up by taking the bolier stat probe out and with it set for hot water only let it get really hot to force the air out of the way. Can be quite frightening for a diyer with the banging it makes, allow it to thump and bang for about 30 secs at at time then turn it off and replace stat an see if it is working if not try it a few times.

Sponsored Links
ok! now what is a boiler stat probe and how do i take it out please? is it safe if i do it myself?

cheers,
p

looks like a peice of copper pipe attached to a smaller tube that goes into the box with the knob that controls temp of boiler usually at the top of the boiler
either you just pull it or take the split pin out then pull it carefully :D

OK, I will check that again, so far I have not found any pin that I could take out, but maybe I need to take a closer look...Do you need any specfic tools to take it out (like you need bleed key to air bleed rads) and/ or to put it back in?

Thanks very much guys,Regards,
P!

Guys!
Where exactly do I need to take a look? I don't have any coil/ box fitted to the copper tank and I think its temperature is controlled by thermostat on the boiler next to it.

I will have to use a spanner to take the pipes off that go into the tank (do you think its a good idea to do that now)?

Thanks,
P

psarinuk said:
Guys!
Where exactly do I need to take a look? I don't have any coil/ box fitted to the copper tank

i think you are looking in the wrong place
kevplumb said:
looks like a peice of copper pipe attached to a smaller tube that goes into the box with the knob that controls temp of boiler usually at the top of the boiler

Cheers guys!

I did not have to remove air lock from gravity system. I kept my patience and kept bleeding the rads (esp upstairs) and eventually, hot water started as well as central heating and with the right flow as well..

Many thanks for your support. This forum is def very helpful.

Regards,
P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back