No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm told my hot water cylinder is very scaled up (hard water area) causing the problem (central heating is fine though) The plumber just wants to replace it (650.00pnds) or Powerflush (450.00pnds).

If its just limescale in the tank, cant it be disolved with an acid descaler and thoroughly flushed through?.....if so how does one go about it?

Rgds
Jim

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused here,what exactly is the problems ? I can tell you that the power flushing will not solves your cylinder problem as it really on the central heating system.

masona said:
I'm a bit confused here,what exactly is the problems ? I can tell you that the power flushing will not solves your cylinder problem as it really on the central heating system.

My "hot" water was only getting luke warm, although the cental heating appears fine, the plumber says my cylinder is choked up with limescale and either needs power flushing or needs to be replaced.....i'm confused also....any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

PS... immersion heater heats the water ok though.......

tyreguy said:
masona said:

My "hot" water was only getting luke warm, although the cental heating appears fine, the plumber says my cylinder is choked up with limescale and either needs power flushing or needs to be replaced.....i'm confused also....any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
If your cylinder is heavy scaled,it mean the water will take longer to heat up in the cylinder.Have you check the cylinder thermostat (if you got one,normally 1/3 from the bottom) turn it up or could be faulty.I would personally shutdown all valves to the cylinder and remove the immersion heater for inspection (don't forget to turn off the main).I've not heard of any acid descaler for cylinder.You can fit a waterscaler which will remove the scales in your system but not overnight.The cost is not cheap,but will offset the cost of a new cylinder.More details on www.scalewatcher.co.uk They have been highly recommend by Ideal Home and collected nine awards also with a money back guarantee if you're not satisfy.

Hello tyreguy -

Over what time period did you notice the change in temperature? Unless it was quite gradual, I'd be sceptical of the limescale theory. Have you noticed reduced flow through your hot water taps at the same time? Limescale will often crust up round the hot water takeoff at the top of your cylinder, and if it's extreme then you may well notice poor flow (I once saw exactly this, about 5 yrs ago).

I agree with 'masona' that scale will mean your cylinder takes longer to heat up. Is your heating timer running all the time or just for an hour or so? Leave it going and see if you eventually get hotter water. If so, then your stat. etc is probably OK and limescale does sound reasonable. Otherwise turn up the stat if you can and see what happens.

By the way, I am only a DIY plumber, but I would be surprised if a professional one could justify £650 for replacing a hot water cylinder (assuming like-for-like replacement with minimal mods to pipework).

As a guide, a new 117 Litre (900mmx450mm outside dimensions) cylinder will set you back around £85, for example from screwfix :-

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101434&ts=18565

Even with new fittings and a new immersion heater, the total parts bill should come in under £100. The last one I did involved a lot of new pipework since it was a totally different cylinder, but it was still done in an afternoon, so it's not a huge job. Escpecially if your cylinder comes from a recognised maker (eg Telford, Albion, Newark) you should be able to go into a plumbers merchant and get an exact replacement with the same tappings in the same places, for direct reconnection.

The way forward depends on your plumbing skills I suppose. There is no cleaning product I'm aware of to de-scale your cylinder, so the best you can do is try to sense-check what your plumber is telling you.

Personally I would drain the cylinder and remove the immersion heater. Especially if it's top-mounted, this gives you a nice big hole through which to shine a torch and inspect the primary heating element (heat exchanger coil inside the cylinder). This would at least allow verification of the theory of limescale. The snag there is that, especially if you DO have limescale, and depending on how old the cylinder is, you may well be unable to remove the immersion heater without damaging the cylinder anyway. You would also need to remove the heater electrical connection and borrow a suitable large immersion spanner.

If you're not confident to tackle the job on your own, I'd certainly get a few more quotes, and ask to see the parts and labour broken down ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back