No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler that I purchased from Wickes just over twekve months ago. It was manufactured ny Halstead and Wickes call it the "102".

For a couple of weeks the hot water has not been working properly. At first it was sometimes hot and then later not at all, however the heating is working. I telephoned the Halstead service number I had and told him the symptoms. He was addement that the problem was that the heat exchange plate had debri in it and required cleaning out with detergent and putting back together (which wasn`t covered by the warranty). I called someone out who did this job and it made no difference. I was asked if I wanted him to find the problem (which could cost me!) but I said no as the boiler has a two year guarantee. Therfore I returned to the Halstead sevice line where I sat in a queue for 45 minutes to then be told the office was shut (nice one). The following day I spoke to halstead and they seemed surprised and still thought it was debri. (obviously a common fault). Now comes the problem - I had my boiler fitted by my uncle (who was corgi registered) who has since departed this world and cannot show them a certificate so they won`t honour the guarantee.

The boiler is igniting as it should and burning as it should. When the hot water tap is put on the boiler starts its cycle resulting in the burner coming on and staying on but no hot water coming from the tap. The radiators when in hot water mode only do NOT come on and even with all the radiators turned off the burner stays on and the the water is cold (maybe not freezing the boiler seems to take the chill off). If I run the cold water tap and the hot water at the same time the water from the hot tap does warm slightly but not significantly. The pump is definetly functioning as are the two micro switches. The burner is also functioning correctly. I followed the fault diagnosis diagrams in the documentation for the boiler and everything was working as it should.

WHERE IS MY HOT WATER??

ANY ASSISTANCE MUCH APPRECIATED

Sponsored Links
I agree with Halstead that the flow is not getting through the plate heat exchanger.

I dont understand exactly what you got "someone" to do. What I can say is that hte HE cannot be cleaned using detergent. It needs to be cleaned using suitable chemicals.

If you had called a boiler engineer the usual procedure would be for him to diagnose the fault and then fix it.

The Boiler installation Certificate has to be filled in when the boiler is initially commissioned. Not a year later!

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
I agree with Halstead that the flow is not getting through the plate heat exchanger.

I dont understand exactly what you got "someone" to do. What I can say is that the HE cannot be cleaned using detergent. It needs to be cleaned using suitable chemicals.

If you had called a boiler engineer the usual procedure would be for him to diagnose the fault and then fix it.

The Boiler installation Certificate has to be filled in when the boiler is initially commissioned. Not a year later!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
There is a fault on this site.

An attempt to edit requires a further login and then rather than an edit of the original it produces a second posting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back