no idea what flooring to choose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought my first house and have absolutely no idea what kind of flooring I want to fit anywhere. For now I'm just working on upstairs: bedrooms, bathroom and landing/stairs. The rooms are small especially the bathroom and I am going for white walls in all the rooms and a white bathroom suite. I would like white or pale flooring in all the rooms, the bedrooms have mainly quite dark oak furniture so I do not want dark flooring as well. I have thought about laminate for the bathroom / bedrooms but am having trouble finding nice looking laminate in white, I have found limed oak in a couple of places but am worried it will look a bit odd and be quite cold and noisy. However, I am not very keen on carpet though I may use it on the stairs. Does anyone have any other ideas of what kind of flooring I could use or know any good shops / websites with a good range?
Thanks for helping,
Kylie.

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome to the site. Whatever you choose I would strongly recommend against Laminate in bathrooms.

a) It generally is not good in wet areas (due to it's constuction and water absorbancy)

b) It can be VERY slippery when wet

c)Men's aims :rolleyes: arent always very good, and a bathroom floor needs to be kept clean. UnbelieveableI know, but I have actually seen cheap laminate flooring "burnt" away by uric acid!

d) I hate the darn stuff - even though I fit it. lol

Woody

thanks for you help. so even laminate that says it's ok in bathrooms you wouldn't recommend? i was looking at b&q's aqualoc range http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produ...25&entryFlag=false&PRODID=6020003&paintCatId=

i'm not too keen on laminate either to be honest, I much prefer real wood but my house is small and I think laminate is what people will expect when I come to sell.

what would be your suggestion for bathroom flooring then?

if it helps we have lino in our bathroom because its easy to clean, doesn't absorb water available in many colours / patterns

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't use laminate anywhere upstairs because of the noise factor, especially when kids and playing etc etc. I also think that carpet adds a cosy feel to a bedroom.

Don't really agree with that one nstreet. Melamine Laminate does sound 'louder' than Wood-Engineered flooring (also available in lime/white oak and 3-strips are still reasonable good in price = low). What every you use you must not forget to 'invest' in proper underlayment which will enhance the sound-insulation.
Hard floor covering (wood etc) is also much more hygienic and anti-allergic than carpet, specailly in bedrooms.
Kylieo, if the mod allows me: my profile shows our website

That is fine WoodYouLike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back