Choosing laminate for whole house, what thickness, and reducing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Probably questions that's been asked numerous times I know, but I am planning this project and need to get it right from the outset.

I am looking at fitting a decent quality laminate floor throughout pretty much the whole house i.e living room, dining room, hallway, landing, and 3 bedrooms. Possibly also the kitchen although may go for tiles there. Only bathroom left untouched as its currently tiled and in good condition.

Some rooms already have laminate, but I feel its thin, light beech colour. Nothing special.

I cant afford to have a hardwood floor, we would be talking several £thousands and I don't think its a job I can do myself.

I am looking at a darker oak style of floor. Not too dark, but certainly not light. A mid to dark shade. I'd like a whole board look with beveled edges.

So 1) if looking for an almost whole house covering, am I right to be thinking of using the same flooring throughout for a consistent look?

2) I would imagine that thicker is better. However laying 12mm laminate I guess will require more cutting of skirting and door frames, and possibly be harder to lay as its approaching the thickness of a hardwood floor.

3) If having it upstairs I want to ensure the floor feels warm underfoot and does not transmit excessive noise from people walking on it to the rooms below or the neighbours. So I was thinking a cork underlay or one of the thicker fibreboard style underlays, but this adds more thickness.

4) The subfloor pretty much everywhere I think is timber. Some areas are not quite level. Will I have trouble laying thicker laminate over a timber subfloor with movement or that is not quite perfectly flat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whatever you choose be aware that getting the same flnished floor level throughout the house can be challenging especially if a mix ot cermaic floor tiles and laminate is used. Re-flooring one room is achievable, and a learning experience, for a diyer. It will be more challenging to do the whole house

1. If you're going for a modern top spec look for the whole house i.e. decoration, contemporary kitchen and bathroom furniture, consistent floor coverings will enhance the look.
2. The thicker the flooring generally the more resistant it is to wear and impact
3. The thicker the flooring/underlay generally the less the sound transmission.
4. No floors are perfectly flat, underlay will help. But it all depends on how unflat they are.

Blup

Whatever you choose be aware that getting the same flnished floor level throughout the house can be challenging especially if a mix ot cermaic floor tiles and laminate is used. Re-flooring one room is achievable, and a learning experience, for a diyer. It will be more challenging to do the whole house

1. If you're going for a modern top spec look for the whole house i.e. decoration, contemporary kitchen and bathroom furniture, consistent floor coverings will enhance the look.
2. The thicker the flooring generally the more resistant it is to wear and impact
3. The thicker the flooring/underlay generally the less the sound transmission.
4. No floors are perfectly flat, underlay will help. But it all depends on how unflat they are.

Blup
Ive fitted laminate before, so its not new but I want to get a really good finish this time.

Upstairs, I am still planning to keep carpet on the stairs and landing. This will separate the bedrooms so I won't have to worry about lining up the laminate for a seamless look.

Downstairs, I may have to worry about visual alignment between rooms because the living room hallway and dining room will interconnect with each other. I could retain carpet in the living room for a warmer feel in that room but would still need to align the look of the hallway and dining room.

That is going to feel like a noisy cold house with all that laminate.

Sponsored Links
That is going to feel like a noisy cold house with all that laminate.
It is a concern yes. My missus is from Europe and over there having wooden floors all over is commonplace. She has this thing about carpet not being hygienic or causing/retaining dust.

I'd spend a bit more on downstairs and a bit less on the bedrooms. The differences can be put down to "contrast".
The only (slight) noise we hear from upstairs is when my son rolls his office chair across his bedroom. Have a look at lvt as well.

Get quickstep mate. Best out there. Capture is the best range. looks like real wood. Water proof top as well.

Bit too pricey for my budget unfortunately, I'm looking at around £15 per square meter plus £3-5 for the underlay, there are some options at that price.

Thanks I'll take a look.

How difficult is fitting 12mm laminate compared to say 8mm? Im concerned about the extra work involved regarding skirting, door frames, thresholds between rooms. It'll be 17mm total thickness if I use a 5mm underlay board, which is alot, probably twice the thickness or more compared to the current carpet plus underlay.

Each to his/her own, but I wouldn't recommend laminate for bedrooms.
1) Beds slide around, even when fitted with castor cups,
2) It's uncomfortably cold for bare feet.

Downstairs, I may have to worry about visual alignment between rooms because the living room hallway and dining room will interconnect with each other.

I recently fitted laminate flooring for a mate. Two rooms knocked together plus the hallway. I started off in the room towards the front of the hose and spent a couple of hours lining up the first row. I then worked my way through in to the second room.

My advice is to make sure that when you do the hallway, make sure that you factor in hitting in a bit from the wrong side. You really need to beg, borrow, steal an oscillating saw to cut through the bottom of the door liner and architraves.

Each to his/her own, but I wouldn't recommend laminate for bedrooms.
1) Beds slide around, even when fitted with castor cups,
2) It's uncomfortably cold for bare feet.
I don't have any choice in it really, missus is adamant on it and it's how they do it in Europe.

Anyone got any views on difficulty of fitting 12mm compared to 8mm please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back