Laminate floor underlay dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I live in an old terraced house with the will know suspended floor system and carpet on top. We decided to put laminate on the groundfloor(dinner, living and and at the entrance.)
I have got rid off the carpet already and the subfloor is wooden plank running drom the window towards the back where the extension and the kitchen are. The floor is in fair comdition but due to nature of the auspended floor it is not as stable as a concrete subflooor.
I already have the laminates, 12mm thick kronospan vario+

The two basic questions are:

1. Which underlay: fibreboard or techni-board? Which gives more support and which helps to level the minor imperfection of the subfloor? The 5mm techni-board seems less messy and already damp proof. The fibreboard may be more rigid and a bit thicker, 7mm.
Anyone has experience with these?

2. Direction of laminate planks. Can I lay it parallel with the wooden subfloor planks? The living and the dining are a kind of openspace thingy, they are separated by a double sliding/hanging door so it would be nicer if the laminates are running from the window all the way to the rear because of the incoming lighr directions and beacuse that is the longer side. Would the laminates crack?
If I lay 90degrees on the subfloor, parallel with the joist, will it be more stable? Will it make any difference?
It also applies for the entrance, that is like 3.7m x 0.9m sot it would be weird if the laminate planks are not parallel with the longer side.

Any advice and opinion will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back