No Nonsense Boiler Noise Reducer - Screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine mentioned that he was having problems with his boiler making lots of noise. He bled the air from his rads, ensured there was no blockage in the header tank etc but still had the noise. He then drained the system and even removed every rad and flushed threw with clean water, but the problem remained.

I suggested that he might want to try one of the noise reducing products that you empty into your header tank as a cheap last throw of the dice before calling in a pro.

So, he put in some No Nonsense Boiler Noise Reducer from Screwfix. Apparently this seemed to do the trick for about 20 mins but then the boiler packed up and completely stopped working!

He called out a British Gas engineer who said that the Screwfix product had caused to the problem, because basically it’s rubbish and was made worse because it had been mixed with an inhibitor from a different manufacturer. Even though he mentioned that the system had been completely drained, BG said that it didn’t matter, it still classed as being mixed and that is what has caused the problem by basically turning the scale, sludge to glue. I

n order to remeedy this BG will need to complete a power flush for around £1000 (inc vat).

What do you think? Does this explanation seem plausible? Surely if the Screwfix stuff was that bad others would have complained and the product withdrawn? Is there anything else he can try before paying out for a power flush?

Thanks for any views and advice.

Sponsored Links
You can get a powerflush for a lot cheaper than BG we charge £400 for upto 10 rads.

Turning sludge to glue hmm sounds a bit suspect.
The heat exchanger is obviously blocked and may need replacing or a seperate powerflush chemical clean.

Pete

I would only ever recommend using a quality product such as Sentinel or Fernox.

You get what you pay for in life ;)

Sounds like a load of cobblers to me.

I would get a second on site opinion, expect to get charged for it. The boiler would not suddenly stop, unless an overheat stat had tripped.

Unfortunately you have only narrowed the boiler down to the last 5000 types or so.

Sponsored Links
I think it was a white one. Does that help?

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like what I suspected.

There's someone else going round tomorrow to assess it so hopefully they'll either confirm or give him a cheaper guaranteed solution!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back