No pre-heat on Hyundai diesel generator?

It's to run the heat pump which peaks at 7.5 kw when it kicks in plus freezers and sometimes electric cooking.

Sorry I started a new thread forgetting that I'd posted about it before.

Sponsored Links
Surely there has to be some sort of cold start device within the injection pump - automatically engaged in cool weather?
John :)

Nope, nothing. My diesel mechanic friend is as baffled as I am. While I was cranking it he tried the old bushman's trick of pointing a gas flame down the inlet and it burst straight into life.

I'm suspecting the importer diverted an order for a tropical market into the UK.

Thread revival.... in the end I had to send the gen back to the importer in Pembroke Dock. Turns out there's a mechanism on the engine that is supposed to squirt in extra diesel on cold starts and this had not been set up despite their web site claiming that everything is tested before being despatched. So they adjusted it, sent me video of it starting and trucked it all the way back here. It arrived and I tried it... same result, it wouldn't start. So I sent it back again and they refunded my money in full.

So now I need to find a standby gen that will cope with the heat pump peaking at about 7 kw briefly as it kicks in then settles down to about 4.5. That's the only heavy user in the house apart from the fridge and the freezer. All lights are LED. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
So now I need to find a standby gen that will cope with the heat pump peaking at about 7 kw briefly as it kicks in then settles down to about 4.5. That's the only heavy user in the house apart from the fridge and the freezer. All lights are LED. Any recommendations?
Was it Macgregors you spoke to before?
I would ask them what ex hire generators they have coming up for sale soon
A 2nd hand one of a decent make is a safer bet than brand new cheap chineese.

Though I think you're best spending the money on something that will be of use all the time, not once a blue moon when the power is off.
Solar panels/windturbine, inverter, batteries, wood burner etc. And a small honda petrol genny for if the sh*t hits the fan.

Not MacGregors, no. Whereabouts are they? The problem is that here in the Highlands all the trees are old and falling over and the power network is on its knees so we get a lot of power cuts and we need to keep the heat pump running.

Considering that Hyundai do a huge range of generators I find it hard to believe that they are all bum starters.....maybe you’ve just had a rogue one?
Anyway I guess price is a factor but I’d always recommend Lister Petter gear, MTD, Caterpillar or Cummins diesel engines for reliability.
John

After looking at the Hyundai generators before, if memory serves me correctly they are just rebranded Chinese generic models, can get the same branded up as black and decker etc.
Hyundai Power Products is a trading name of another company who also own JCB tools (again questionable quality)
Very loud, and decided not worth bothering this. Thread backs this decision up somewhat.

It is down to compression ratio, to produce an engine with low noise it was common to use a low compression ratio, the diesel in Europe except for UK was cheaper than petrol, which resulted in a lot of inefficient car engines which also found themselves in other plant items, as the compression ratio increases so does the volumetric efficiency and ability to cold start.

The problem with engine heaters is time, be it in the manifold which can be added latter or direct there needs to be a delay between heaters turning on and engine cranking, any engine which auto starts better if it does not need heaters. Also heaters require in the main electric, so hand cranked engines would not have them, but there are other methods, like filling the swirl chamber in the piston with oil, Lister engines did this, there was a plunger to put a measured amount of oil in the piston.

I have seen all sorts of methods, including the exhaust of donkey engine routed through the inlet manifold. Even built in ether injection same idea as the easy start can, but built in.

But when an engine failed to start often there was another fault, again the Lister not starting often due to the big ends wearing and this increases the bump clearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back