No return valve on combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago we had a combi boiler put in. About a year later the bloke who did it mentioned to me in passing that they hadn't put a non return valve on it and although it isn't important I might want one..

Now I've got a kid I worry about it a bit as I've heard the water can be contaminated due to pressure?

Can anyone confirm how important it is?

Sponsored Links
what boiler is it. guessing a worcester. is the boiler coming on when cold tap turned of?. weres the so called nrv supposed to go? bit more info pls. w

Hi,

It's a Worcester Bosch greenstar junior 28i fitted nov 2008. I think the non return valve would be on the cold feed but I don't know. I heard something about protecting from contamination of the drinking water.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
The previous post is dangerous. You need to be certain that you understand each other.

It depends how accurate your boiler fitter's comment was. It is absolutely essential to have a non return valve fitted in the boiler top up loop to prevent any possibility of contamination of the fluid (water + various additives)flowing around the central heating part of the boiler and the system. . You are supposed to actually disconnect the feed and only connect it when you require to use it, but very few people do that. It is not a requirement to have such a valve in the feed to the hot water supply to the taps. Different rules apply where water outlets can be covered by standing water, e.g. shower trays with a long shower hose.

It is absolutely essential to have a non return valve fitted in the boiler top up loop to prevent any possibility of contamination of the fluid (water + various additives)flowing around the central heating part of the boiler and the system. .

Is that a non return valve which would be manually fitted or come as part of the combi? Also do you mean contamination of drinking water?

Sounds like I just won't know unless I get a service and check everything is in order.

The non return valve is normally supplied with the boiler BUT has to be fitted individually by the engineer. It is not usually an integral part of the boiler. Just check the filling loop and make sure it is there (or not). It is very simple to fit and I can't understand why anyone would omit to do so. If it has been missed your local water authority would come down very hard on the fitter, if they ever found out.

There's a section in the install manual which says this:

"Isolate and remove filling loop connection to
system or if using the optional integral filling
connection (C) (not supplied with the
boiler) remove key (D) and place in
its storage position (E) on the bottom cover
of the boiler."

Mine has got the plastic key and I do know that I have to open a valve with the key if I want to top up when the pressure is low.

Is that what you're referring to taxes?

Thanks.

Hi,

Sounds like it, but why they call it "Integral" when it is not supplied with the boiler, beats me. Look at where you insert the key to top up and it is probably an isolation valve at the end of a flexible pipe. That valve may contain the non return element; if so it will be much longer than a simple isolation valve. If you can post a photograph of it, that would help.

Question. What are the circumstances in which the manual says "isolate and remove the filling loop cconnection....".

If you tell me the name and model of the boiler I may be able to look up the manual on the internet.

I am going out for the rest of the day now.

leaving the key out when not pressurising your system is your non -return valve, as long as you dont leave the white key in all the time you dont have a problem

taxes your going way over the top. sounding like a student thats just passed all his reg courses. anyway OP if you noticed i mentioned you had a worcester bosh without telling me. thats because, possibly and sounds like. you may need a mini expansion vessel on the cold supply. as per manufacturers instructions. and the installer regarded this. but without more info its all a guessing game. ps taxes the worcester greenstar range come with optional filling loop kit. pretty sure that legal :rolleyes:

Disconnect your filling loop, simples :)

He doesnt have a filling loop he has a WB charging link and as long as the white key is not left in it is a non return valve simples as you say

Ok so this begs the question, why did the installer mention to me at a later date that they didn't put a non return valve in and that I probably should .. though it's not a big deal? Haven't seen him in years or I'd ask him directly.

It just left me worrying that the drinking water on the sink right next to it could be dangerous.

Thanks anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back