no shower temp control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a triton-ivory 3 electric shower a year ago and hasnt worked properly to this day! the shower has 2 settings low and high. on the high the temp is uncontrollable and far too hot!! on low if i put to around 3-4 its ok but if i want slightly hotter the temp just ramps up and goes scalding. i think the shower is water supplied from the mains and not the boiler. the previous shower i removed before i moved in had the same problem. any thoughts out there to what i need to change or do for a perfect running normal shower????

any suggestions wud be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did you fit it yourself? If so check you had the controls in the right position when you put the cover on.

check where the water feed is from
its strange you have had it on both showers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like it's being fed from a tank not the mains.

So the water is in the shower longer, causing it to get too hot.

What's the pressure like?

Sounds to me like it's being fed from a tank not the mains.

So the water is in the shower longer, causing it to get too hot.

What's the pressure like?

if its from a tank it shouldn't be activating the heating elements with less than 1 bar incoming pressure.

seen this before when its been connected to a combi hot and feeding the shower hot water before it even gets to the heating elements.

i have a condensing boiler for hot water and central heating. the feed for the shower taps (or tees) of the bath pipe for the cold water fill, then runs under the bath, into the wall, and out out at the shower.
had a british gas engineer out ages ago when getting a quote for a boiler and he said my water pressure was fine.
am about to loose patience with the flaming shower.
could it be the internals of the shower need replacing????

oh and i know the cold water is not coming from the tank as it doesnt start to fill up when i run the bath..

I would investigate any possible restrictions in the feed to the shower, including any stopcocks or service valves, making sure they are fully open. some in-line service valves can restrict the flow, even when they are fully open. Check / clean any filters / strainers on the inlet, look for any kinks or twists in the handset hose and any limescale deposits in the handset.

Usually these showers have two or three heaters controlled by the front panel switch for coarse temperature adjustment, and regulation of the water flow rate for fine temperature adjustment.
If there are any restrictions in the water flow, then you may not be able to achieve the flow rate required to get the temperature you want.

as said check any valves in the pipework and also the inline filter but if you say it done it from day one could be another issue.

after them points i would be looking at the stabiliser valve.
if you put the shower on fully cold then turn to fully hot do you get a change in flow ?

I had an electric shower with erratic temperatures and presumed it was on its way out, ie pressure switch or something. Until it went off completely and I went to strip it out including its cable.
The erratic temperatures were caused by a loose connection at the pull cord switch and had been arcing for some time in the loft, leaving a melted switch and about 100mm of very burnt cable. :eek:
And I always wondered how peoples houses burnt down......

will check inline filter (wherever that is), stabiliser valve (god knows where that is) and all cables associated with the shower and will report my findings. may take me a few days.
many thanks for all suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back