No sound!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just had a new PC built for me and I seem to have a problem with the sound. If I download a song from the net it will play OK with media player, but when I put a dvd in the DVD drive I get the picture OK but no sound. The audio cable from the DVD is plugged into the motherboard but still get no sound. I've checked all the settings in the control panel and nothing is muted, is it something in the bios that needs changing. :(

Can anyone help :)

Sponsored Links
Open up the volume control (depends on o/s, but look for a speaker icon in the task bar and double click it) and make sure the CD output is not muted. Also, there are sometimes 2 (or more) places that the audio connector can connect on the m/b and you may have used the AUX header instead of the CD header. In this case, the AUX setting may be muted.

No, the CD output is not muted, and the audio lead is definitely in the CD audio socket.
What gets me is even if I copy a CD track to the hard drive, when I play it in media player I get no sound, its as though the audio files are not being sent from the CD drive. I've also tried it using the dvd wrighter as the player and thats the same :cry: No sound.

Quite possibly a defective drive. Does CD audio play? As it has just been built, take it back.

Sponsored Links
I Can't see both drives being faulty :eek:
I've got someone looking into it for me now, so thanks for having a go

Ok, let us know if you get it sorted. If not, give a full description of what you have and what is connected to where. FOr example, it wasn't clear that you had 2 drives. Do both have audio leads connected to the m/b?

as Igorian states open up and see if the little twin cable is actually plugged from the drive to the motherboard.

Isn't the audio cable for the motherboard to allow the CD player headphone socket to be used, it souldn't effect sound output transfer to the PC. It sounds like a software issue to me.

darude said:
Isn't the audio cable for the motherboard to allow the CD player headphone socket to be used, it souldn't effect sound output transfer to the PC. It sounds like a software issue to me.

No, the headphone socket is independent, i.e., if you were only to connect power to the CD drive, you would get sound from the headphone socket. (Obviously with an audio CD and headphones attached. :D )

Igorian, your correct, the CD player I installed in my PC supports sound forwarding (can't remember the exact technical term) which means that the audio out cable is not required.

darude said:
Igorian, your correct, the CD player I installed in my PC supports sound forwarding (can't remember the exact technical term) which means that the audio out cable is not required.

That's interesting, please explain further.

DAE, Digital Audio Extraction. Uses the data streams in the IDE cable to playback sound. After looking into what this means, I found it only works on Win XP and Linux (using Alsa)

Does it work for direct playback of audio from DVD/CD's for instance?
by that i mean playing tracks direct from the disc through a player as opposed to saving as a file first.

Sponsored Links
Back