No space for Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am going to be removing some old doors and intalling a set of upvc sliding patio doors (2400mm w x 2100mm h). The property owner has said that there is no existing lintel and he wants a lintel installed (We'll be installing a concrete lintel). I have ordered the doors the same size as the original doors which went quite high up on the wall from memory. I fear I should have deducted 65mm from the new doors height to account for the 65mm x 100mm x 3000mm concrete lintel that we need to install. If when we come to install the doors, the roof rafters come to right above where the doors will be, with no space for the concrete lintel what do we do? Is a solution to cut a birdsmouth at the end of the rafter so we can fit the lintel in or any better suggestions?

Sponsored Links
He believes that's what is required and we've already agreed to do it

Why does he want a lintel where the previously was none?
Presumably becaause the existing window is acting as a lintel for the rafter ends, so one should be fitted now, as a upvc window is not a structural item. Sounds like somebody screwed up, 65mm deep doesn't seem deep enough for that span. I'd think you'd be looking at 100mm deep minimum, are BC involved? They should be if a new lintel is being fitted. Anyway seems somebody's screwed up and the window head needs to be lower to accommodate the lintel.

Sponsored Links
Yes but whats the solution without the window head being lower

If there's no lintel now then you have to lower the window head to fit one in, can you fit a lintel to the inner skin instead? You can birdsmouth the rafters a bit but not if they're the same depth as the lintel. Is the wall rendered? Otherwise a concrete lintel is gonna look crap.

If there's no lintel now then you have to lower the window head to fit one in, can you fit a lintel to the inner skin instead? You can birdsmouth the rafters a bit but not if they're the same depth as the lintel. Is the wall rendered? Otherwise a concrete lintel is gonna look crap.
No the wall is brick but the aesthetics is not an issue now.

Behind the fascia there is a piece of timber going horizontally across. I think underneath that there is a thin slither of timber probably put in to act as a lintel. The doors I have ordered are the exact same size as the existing ones shown. Surely somebody's got a suggestion. Breaking the ground beneath and lowering where the new door will sit I don't think is an options as we'll be lower than existing ground level then. One solution I'm thinking of is to cut the new door frame 30mm off top and 30mm off bottom. Might not be the best idea but open to any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20231124_132528.jpg
    20231124_132528.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 33
A concrete lintel seems an odd choice, probably not strong enough and chuffing heavy in that length.

A steel angle maybe possible or box section on the inner skin as the wall plate will be higher.

if it’s tight you could use a steel angle and cut a slot at each rafter birdsmouth to create a bit of space.

Is a solution to cut a birdsmouth at the end of the rafter

Ah, you don’t have rafters, it’s a flat roof….hardly any load at all.

don’t the joists go side to side?

No lintel required! use a piece of angle iron if you need to satisfy the customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back