No space for Lintel

Ah, you don’t have rafters, it’s a flat roof….hardly any load at all.

don’t the joists go side to side?
I haven't taken off the facia to have a proper look at the timbers but I bent the facia outwards a bit and from underneath I saw a piece of timber running parallel to the fascia and I assumed it had joists meeting it at a 90 degree angle (so running backwards from the doors)

Sponsored Links
Could you send a link of something appropriate? The doors are 2400mm wide
Do you know if there are joists above the doors

and is that black above the doors a fascia - what’s behind that

Sponsored Links
I haven't taken off the facia to have a proper look at the timbers but I bent the facia outwards a bit and from underneath I saw a piece of timber running parallel to the fascia and I assumed it had joists meeting it at a 90 degree angle (so running backwards from the doors)
It could’ve just been a timber packe….quite likely if the joists run parallel to the doors

If the joists run perpendicular, just notch the the ends of the joists and put in a box steel or something

Relax those doors are just filling in a hole...
Its obvious the flat roof would’ve been built before the doors went in - whatever the roof is sitting on, it’s not the door frame

Do you know if there are joists above the doors

and is that black above the doors a fascia - what’s behind that
Didn't understand the 1st question? There is a piece of timber right above the doors running parallel to the doors behind the black fascia

Its obvious the flat roof would’ve been built before the doors went in - whatever the roof is sitting on, it’s not the door frame
Ok alright. So you're thinking all the joists are running parallel to the roof. Say if they are, can I just take off the edge plate (the one that I could see behind the facia) and put the concrete lintel in its place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back