no water from hot taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all we had our water supply switched off about 2 days ago as the water board were working on the mains-now we have lost the water from the hot taps upstairs and downstairs-i think this might be an airlock but should i complain to anglia water or just try to cure it myself-any ideas how to unlock the air lock please :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Is it a combi or a normal cylinder and tank set up??? if it is tanks it will be the ballvalve in the tank has probably got some grit in it , take it apart and clean it out,

yes it is a tank in the loft-is this big job do i have to drain whole wtaer system down-thanks

If the tank in the loft is empty the the ballvalve is definately blocked, just turn off the main water stopcock and take the ballvalve apart, there will be grit in it just clear it out and reasemble it :D

Sponsored Links
Not a big job, though that's never a safe thing to say in plumbing. You'll need to be able to turn the water mains off. It's possible to manage without because you'll have a big empty tank to take the water, but if your pressure is normal/high you'll get wet.

About 2-3 inches from the inside of the tank there will usually be a big nut, You need to undo that, holding other bits still. Don't drop the washer inside, but dismantle and clean the small hole in the funnel.
Even if yo want to put a new valve in, you'll probably be able to replace just the parts you just removed - saves disturbing the connection to the pipe.

If you fill the tank up and you still have no HW, that's an air lock - do a search!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back