No water!? - is it the water pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have posted under the title Honeywell V4073 valve, but thought I should have perhaps posted under ' no water ' instead?

To summarise, after putting in a new honeywell valve, the central heating now works, but we have absolutely no water in the bathroom at all. None... little drips and then everything stops. Does this have something to do with the water pressure? There is water coming out of the kitchen taps, it's just the bathroom taps - both the basin and the bath. No hot not cold water at all.

Please help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you turn off your mains?
Did you turn it back on again?
Do you have cold water at the kitchen sink?
Air lock.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes - I did turn off the mains before putting in the honeywell valve
Yes - I did turn the water mains back on
Yes - there is cold water in the kitchen

Sponsored Links
I don't have a ladder, but will try to borrow one and will take a look up there.

Thanks Andy.

If that is the case, do you know why? Is it because of gunk that has accumulated in it, thus not allowing water through?

Sorry for sounding like such an amateur. If the ball valve is stuck shut, do I simply move the buddy out of the way and all will be good? Or is there more to it than that?

Is your kitchen tap a mixer tap? If so do as mention:

1. Close all bath and basin taps
2. Place palm of hand under kitchen spout and open hot water tap.
3. Open cold water tap and you can feel water passing through to the hot side. If you hear a thumping noise in the tap, that is just the washer/jumper jumping- don't worry about that. YOU MAY GET WET.
4. Hold the above position for about 40 seconds (time it)
5. Close cold water tap and remove your hand - hopefully the water will flow pulling out an air lock.

Do the above and come back and tell us what happened.

Andy

sorry to confuse. When I said buddy, I meant 'my friend the ball valve '.

Andy,

I have done as you mentioned. Yes, the kitchen is a mixer tap. When I turned on the hot water, about half a mug of water came out of the hot tap (water was not hot though). Then no more water from the hot water tap at all. None whatsoever.

I then ran the cold water tap - all is as per normal. Held it for longer than the 40 secs you suggested. Turned off the cold water tap... at this point the hot water tap is still turned on, but no water at all came out.

My brother in law, who is a self certified handyman. He has done alot of plumbing related jobs, both paid and unpaid before, but he is not a qualified plumber.

Can you feel water going through the tap?

Do it again with some upstairs and opening the hot tap to see if anything is happening.

Andy

Andy,

I am currently unable to get upstairs to the loft as I don't have a ladder. I'll need to borrow one, but the neighbours aren't opening their doors ... they're either away or thinking I might be trick or treating, and thus ignoring the bell! Will need to wait until after work tomorrow at the earliest before I can get up there.

I cannot feel water going through the mixer tap. It's not that obvious I guess. It used to make an annoying churning / rumbling through the pipes nose sometimes, but it hasn't done that so far tonight.

It seems something the Brother in law has done that has affected matters! He may have turned something off valve wise and not turned it back on again! Seems a strange coincidence the HW has dried up after changing the Honeywell valve.

Did he go into the loft whilst doing the job, and how long ago was it done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back