Noggins orientation in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wasn't quite sure how to word the title, so here goes is anyone can help me please.

In a garden room stud wall, would it matter if the noggins are fitted on their side so to speak? Its 4x2 studs so if I fitted them so they are 2 deep and 4 high leaving 2 inches behind it for a continuous run of insulation in the stud bay floor to ceiling.

Cheers
Larry

Sponsored Links
Noggins fulfil two functions: they stiffen the framing, and when installed in the correct orientation they prevent the studs twisting as they dry out or acclimatise. So in answer to your question, yes, it makes a difference so if you install them wrongly oriented you risk movement and loss of stiffness

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your insights chaps. I will be sure to orient them correctly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You might also want to consider that if you put the noggins on at 1200 off the floor you can board horizontslly if you wish, and something I missed out last time - that noggins put are useful to take bow out of studs (funny how you forget that when you've been dealing with straight timber for a while)

You might also want to consider that if you put the noggins on at 1200 off the floor you can board horizontslly if youu wish, and something I missed out last time - that noggins are useful to take bow out of joists (funny how you forget that when you've been dealing with straight timber for a while)
Where do you buy straight timber nowadays?

Haha yes i too would like to know where to buy straight timber. There's a few lengths of 4.8m that are so banana'd or twisted I don't know what to do with them. Well some for noggins I guess.

Thank you J&K for the suggestion about boarding sideways, that's useful to know and not something I would have thought of .

Where do you buy straight timber nowadays?
I've been lucky enough to work on big jobs where we bought in pack quantities direct from the importer. In recent years that's been Irmass or G E Robinson on Trafford Park, Manchester. For example we were getting 200 x 75 C24s in lots of 500 or 1000 (per drop) and 4 x 2 C16 carcassing in 4 or 5 tonne wrapped packs (circa 400 lengths @ 4.7 metres). A lot of the stuff we had over 2-1/2 years was (relatively) straight, possibly because it hadn't been hanging around, outside, for months. It helps if you get the stuff stored indoors (if necessary stickered) as soon as it arrives rather than storing outside in the Manchester weather. It also helped having a lot of space to store stuff inside under cover

If I was buying in small quantities I'd look to buying from somewhere that stored their timber under cover. Luckily I have a local yard in the valley which does just that

There's a few lengths of 4.8m that are so banana'd or twisted I don't know what to do with them. Well some for noggins I guess.
That's about all you can do with them. TBH I think it makes sense to cut and nail the stuff in place ASAP rather than storing it for weeks before you use it, especially in warm weather - that always seems to turn it into "banana pine". Of course, if you buy it from B&Q it starts out like that in the first instance...

... the suggestion about boarding sideways, that's useful to know and not something I would have thought of .
It sometimes helps to go horizontal in brick pattern. That way you can stagger the joints. The Yanks seem to do that a lot more than we do here for some reason

Thank you J&K, great pearls of wisdom. I think if I do a DIY project this size again I'll certainly not buy all the wood at once, I couldn't store it all inside so some was stored covered outside. I was panicing a bit over price rises and supply issues.

Even as a diyer I laugh at the state of the wood in the sheds and that's before you get to the price.

Cheers

Larry

Thought you might like this

Dan answers your question about noggins at about 4:50, but the whole process should be of interest and is very informative about stud walling, I think

Thank you for the vid J&K it was very interesting and useful tips in there. If I can find a striaghtish 1200 left over that'll save some time. Also interesting to hear the benefitsof staggering the joints preventing a crack the whole length of the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back