Wall hung unit - PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I need a little advice and would be grateful for your opinions. I'm sorry if this isnt the right forum but it seemed the most appropriate one ...

Anyways ... we are thinking of buying a small wall hung unit with 2 drawers and a bathroom sink (approx 550mm x 450mm).

The unit is either mdf or chipboard with a wood veneer. Our concern is whether we can hang this unit on our wall. We have a stud wall which is tiled from floor to ceiling.

Its not really an option for us to make a hole in the wall to either find the studs or to fit some noggins. So i guess my question is whether there is any other way for us to fit a wall hung unit (eg any special fixings, brackets, etc for stud walls and units of this type).

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi Stephen

I'm not sure but i think it was about 600-700 mm tall (i.e. sink + unit).

Its designed to go on the wall - its too short to put on the floor.

Thanks again. :D

You really need to hang it from noggins or the studs. The weight of a basin and possibility of someone leaning on it make fixing to teh plasterboard too risky. Whenever I fit wall hung units, WCs and Bidets I always fit suitable support before boarding & tiling.

Can you access the otherside of the wall which would allow for additional timbers to be addes without disturbing the tiles. Or what about removing the tiles & board behind where the cabinet will be going to get access to teh studwork.

What fixings does it come with, Cabinet hangers, angle plates and bolts? Also is the pipework already hidden in teh wall?

I assume the cabinet is about 500mm high, 200mm off floor and 700mm to top of counter which is about the norm for a vestle basin.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Hi Jason

Thanks for your reply.

Not entirely sure what fixings the unit comes with. The ones in the shop seem to be either bolted to something behind them or hung with brackets that look similar to whats used to hang kitchen wall units.

There was a really expensive unit (which we cant really afford :cry: ) that had a metal frame inside and this frame was bolted to the wall.

Access from behind would be difficult as the staircase is behind it so it would all have to be done on a ladder from the staircase.

Removing the tiles isn't really an option - because of where the sink would go tiles on both sides would have to be cut and then removed (i.e. if we removed whole tiles there would be big untiled spaces on either side of the unit).

I'm sorry we dont mean to be difficult ... we were just hoping that maybe as it was going through tile before plasterboard with a special fixing it wouldnt fall ... someone leaning on the sink is my main concern - children, our parents, etc.

Again, thanks for your help and any further advice is much appreciated.

Hi sorry ... forgot to mention that the pipes a re all hidden in the wall (hot water from combi, cold water and waste - i think latter is about 40mm).

Have you tried an electronic stud detector to locate the studwork behind? If you're lucky, you should be able to affix a supporting batten to this and hang the unit from that.

Alternatively, you could cut an appropriate opening with an angle grinder, but this will be very dusty unless you protect all the surrounding area with taped on plastic and have someone spray water on the tiles as you cut them. Extra care and a gentle touch will be needed if there are pipes back there, but it is possible if you aim at not cutting too deep.

The opening will need to be big enough to manouvre some supporting battens behind the fixing points, and can be glued from behind and screwed through from the tiled front.

Get some replacement tiles, remove a few - find studs - fix battens - re tile as required.

Or return the expensive unit because you bought it when you were unable to fit it.

Angle grinder with tile blade, cut out unit profile on wall removing tile and plasterboard, replace with ply to same depth and install unit to ply background, very secure surface.You are sure to reveal at least one stud which is all that is required for a scure fitting of ply.No further tiles required.

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to thank you all for your advice but after discussing it with wifey it looks like we'll be getting a standing unit ... one with 4 legs and a couple of high shelves so there iwll be a gap beneath it ... hopefully this will give a similar look.

Mess and budget were too much for us in the end! :(

Anyways, thanks again for all your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back