Wall Hung Sink Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of making a wall hung sink unit for our bathroom out of wood veneered mdf. The mdf will have edging tape and varnish (possibly a stain and then varnish) to seal it.

I was wondering whether I could use shellac instead of varnish. If so, is there any advantage to doing this? I have heard that when rubbed down it can give a glass like finish, moreso than varnish, but don't know if this is true.

Also, I have 2 questions re hanging the actual unit:

1. Will it be strong enough to take the weight of the sink, drawers (x2), etc. if its made of mdf or should I build a metal frame inside to help keep it together?

2. The wall it will hang on is a tiled stud wall. If I can't screw into a stud, do I need to use any special fixings to make sure that it stays on the wall? I was thinking of using the same fixings that are used for kitchen wall units but am not sure if they will work, esp if I dont hit a stud.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the above, esp any advice to make sure it stays on the wall!!!

Thanks a lot guys.

Zigs

Sponsored Links
Can't comment on water resistivity of shellac.

However, with regard to hanging it, if you mark the outline of its placement onto the wall, then sicne this area will remain invisible, you could chop out the plasterwork under there to enable additional timbers to be placed as spreader plates to fix into.

Hi Dextrous

Thanks for your reply.

The problem with adding more wood behind the sink is that the entire bathroom is tiled (floor to ceiling) and I'm hesitant to remove the tiles behind the existing vanity unit and sink in case we decide to change the sink/furniture before the bathroom tiles (which only went up last year).

Also, does that mean that you dont think that brackets (like these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97208...Cabinet-Fittings/Cabinet-Brackets-Hanger-Set) would not be able to take the weight if not secured to a joist?

I've also seen "heavy duty" plasterboard fixings (like these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33559...-BP-HM-Metal-Plasterboard-Anchor-Pack-of-20). Do you think these could work?

Thanks again for your help!

Zigs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back