Fixing wall cabinets to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 metre run of kitchen wall cabinets to hang to a plasterboard wall and wondered what the best fixings to use are. I've looked around and was thinking of either using metal hanging strips cut to the length of each unit and hang the units on with the adjustable hanging clips through the back of the units, or locating the studs and fixing straight to those. I just want a strong reliable and safe fix. Any advice gratefully excepted. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The metal hanging rail would be best. Don't cut it to the width of each unit, but cut it 35mm shorter than the length of the run. Screw the rail to the studwork through the plasterboard. Every cabinet side will have to be cut to accommodate the rail,(at the back where the brackets stick through) apart from the end panels at either end of the run.
Then hang the wall units off the rail using the brackets supplied with the wall units. Easy. ;) ;)

Hi. Thanks for a quick reply. Can I ask why you say not to cut hanging rail to width of each unit?

If you cut to the width of each unit you may find there is only one stud behind that unit so won't get a good fixing. or worse still a 300wide unit may come between two studs as they are usually at 400mm centres :cry:

Jason

Sponsored Links
As Jason says, keep it at almost full length of the run and you will definitely find studs to fix it to. ;) ;)

Or you could cut out a strip of plasterboard at top of cup' b about 100mm wide and replace with 12mm ply screwed to stud work, would not require any cutting of units.You can then use fittings supplied to hang.

That's a really good idea Foxhole. That way I would be able to fix the normal 2" or so hanging rail brackets(you know what I mean) where I need them anywhere along the length of the plywood, knowing I have now have the strength of the overall run fixed to the studs.
Also thanks JoinerJohn too for your advice. I have taken it all into account. Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back