Screws for kitchen wall cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I’ll be fitting an ikea kitchen in our new extension shortly. Wall construction is timber frame w plasterboard - I’ve got the location of the studs marked already.

Studs are at 600mm. Ikea uses a hanging rail for wall cabinets. Is six screws into timber sufficient for the weight of a run of 6 cabinets? How long a screw should I be using?

Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
6 should be fine, you can always add some in the bottom corners of the cupboards inside if your not 100% happy.

Screw length I'd want to be at least 2/3 of the depth of the stud plus the plasterboard thickness so 5x60mm if it's a 3x2 cls stud or 5x80mm if a 4x2 cls stud (5x70mm would also be fine and is a more common size.)

IMG_20230820_110253.jpg

That lots held in with hanging rail with 1 screw in each stud and the studs are 400mm centres and there going nowhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back