Plasterboard fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to hang some kitchen wall units up on 12mm plasterboard and was going to use the metal hollow wall anchor grip bolts. There are no studs behind the plasterboard because it is the wall panels from years ago where it is the cardboard sandwiched between 2 sheets of 12mm plasterboard, much like a hollow door. You pros will know what I'm trying to get at. It feels really solid though and when I removed the old units, similar fixings had been used, not many, but they had been up for about 30 years, and the fixings nowadays are much stronger.
So being that I don't have any option but to use some sort of anchor fixing, are these metal anchor bolts the answer, and if so, what size/length shall I use? I have been given a pack of 36mm ones, but wanted to check these would be adequate being that it says suitable for bathroom and kitchen fixtures, but I'm guessing this doesn't include actual kitchen wall cabinets.
Advice will be gratefully excepted :D

Sponsored Links
Whats behind the plasterboard partition? is it actually in a kitchen or office?

I know the wall panels you mean. They can be great for electrical work, less so for kitchens! Not too sure whether they have any timber studs at the intersections of individual panels, someone will be able to advise better on that. If they do, and their location is suitable then that may offer some better stability.

If the plasterboard parts of the panel are 'sound' and not at all crumbly you may well be ok with toggles or anchors. I would personally fit a full-length mounting rail (http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=191&Name=Cabinet+Hanging+Rail+-+3mt.+-+Aluminium) with toggles or anchors every 200mm ish. If you used standard mounting brackets the 2 holes would be perilously close and may easily loosen of and weaken the boarding.

As Foxhole alludes to, what is on other side of wall? Maybe can put some timber up that side to strengthen it.

Sponsored Links
I've fitted the wall units with metal anchor bolts and they ain't going nowhere. They grip action they give has secured the hanging brackets really strongly, and as an extra, although probably unnessessary, I've also fixed L-Brackets along the top of the units to the wall. I'm happy with the result so, but still more to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back