Noise control down chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We now have nice new double glazing which stops almost all road noise via that route, but we can now hear traffic 'down the chimney'!

Is there any way of attenuating this noise? Perhaps a noise controlling chimney pot with some sort of acoustic lining?

Sponsored Links
You can get an inflatable chimney bag - stick it up the flue from the fireplace - remove when you have a fire :idea:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't fancy that. I was hoping for a more techy solution.

I recall my Trianco Eurostar boiler back in the mid-90s having a silencer final section included in the (vertical) balanced flue presumably to dampen the pressure jet roar. It was similar to a boy racer's straight through exhaust only it worked! It appeared to be a section of flue with the inner lining perforated and stuffed with some sort of wadding.

Maybe a jumbo version off a large industrial diesel would do the job? Might look a bit odd stuck on top of the chimney though! :LOL:

If your still after having a fire You could look at fitting a closed log burner or a fire surround with a opening front. They when there closed they will block out a lot of the unwanted sound. I noticed a significant reduction. I have seen fire places with closable chimneys as well but they all tend to be really old and most are corroded open. I have no idea how you would retrofit such a device or even if there still permitted.

Sponsored Links
A good point.

I have a Jetmaster 'firebox' to fit but not got to it yet. I'll see what difference the damper in that makes before going any further.

I may also take off the metal cowl which I suspect is 'collecting' noise.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back