Chimney - Rattling in the Wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone!

I've been pinning a noise down for a while, and all I can now pin it on is the flue lining in the chimney rattling as a wind passes over the top of the chimney.

We do get a noise - sort of like blowing over a beer bottle now and again, this is annoying in itself, but the main problem is a metallic clunking when the wind is from a different angle, it doesn't even have to be that striong.

We have a gas fire, but it is for the tip soon enough and an electric one can go in, so there is no real need for the flue / lining etc.

Removing it I was quoted as a two man job, and it could get quite messy, and would be upwards around 300 quid.

I know this is cutting a corner a little bit, but my thought was to replace the chimney pot with another type (help needed), which is simply a small vent for the damp etc, or to fix something similar into the existing chimney - i.e. some form of vent cork - for want of a much better word!

It's quite hard to explain, so if it's not clear please let me know.

Any help / suggestions would be great!

Ta everyone

Ian

Sponsored Links
If you are not goiing to have a fire in there in future could you just whack some self expanding foam in between the lining and the flue?

The clunking noise sounds like either the top flue clamp plate or flue terminal have come adrift and flapping about in the wind and allowing flue lining to bang against flue withes.
300 notes is not a bad price to pull lining up and out.. Sheet opening up first and you will have no mess in room.
Regards oldun

You could get someone to pack round the side of the liner with rockwool prod it down tight with a stick.

Sponsored Links
If the liner has detatched from the clamping plate you should be able to pull it through from inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back