Damp Smell, possibly from Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I have been getting a musty damp smell from my sons bedroom for quite a while now. Originally I noticed a damp patch on the wall on the chimney breast and found the cause to be the lead flashing had come away so I repaired and checked all the flashing and pointing on the chimney and the damp dissappeared, this was 3 years ago. The chimney is unused and was capped 12 years ago by the council. They fitted an air vent to the boarded over fireplace but whilst replacing the aerial I noticed that the pot at the top had been removed and concreted over with no breather hole. Now I was wondering if the damp smell could be the chimney not being able to breathe causing condensation and the smell coming via the air vent? As my son is now leaving home :D I will be decorating and would like to clear this damp smell!! Originally I thought it may have been his workwear causing the smell but as the room is being emptied I realise this was not the case!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back