Noise from flat below (Ed.)

I remember watching a tv prog a few years back and a small developer was either converting an existing building into apartments or building afresh, can't recall. Regardless, he was putting concrete sections between the floors. When asked why, he stated he wanted to ensure as far as possible there would be minimal noise transfer between apartments, so he was building things in that yes, would increase the build (and no doubt sales) price slightly, however would be of benefit to the buyers.

Sponsored Links
Hi the flat I had bought had tenants in before , and judging by the number of letters I get addressed to different people, suggests there might have been a problem, the downstairs neighbour has not been there long , and the party I bought the house from had not bothered getting new tenants in for a few months before they sold to me , I think I will have to sell , but can’t do it until downstairs has moved out , I can imagine someone coming to view the property and he has fallen asleep in his lounge , it will be clear to the prospective buyer there is a problem
Just sell, let it be someone else's problem. I suspect there's nothing you can do to solve it either legally or structurally.

In the unlikely event of him having a noisy afternoon doze, at worst you'll lose that buyer then find another. Just arrange viewings for the most peaceful times of day.

There probably isn't anything he could do about it, other than buying a house in the middle of nowhere. Which I assume he can't afford, so is in a flat as you are - usually anyone who could afford better doesn't live in a flat.

We moved area to get a better place. Swapped a shoe box house with close neighbours for a peaceful country home. Worked out very well for us.

If you are going to do modifications, treble check your lease as well as any rules the management company maintains. If you violate any rules, you will have to revert everything back to original, which undoubtedly will cost you another bomb.

Just sell, let it be someone else's problem. I suspect there's nothing you can do to solve it either legally or structurally.

In the unlikely event of him having a noisy afternoon doze, at worst you'll lose that buyer then find another. Just arrange viewings for the most peaceful times of day.

There probably isn't anything he could do about it, other than buying a house in the middle of nowhere. Which I assume he can't afford, so is in a flat as you are - usually anyone who could afford better doesn't live in a flat.

We moved area to get a better place. Swapped a shoe box house with close neighbours for a peaceful country home. Worked out very well for us.
Thanks for your kind words , a country home is my idea of heaven , just really cheesed off that effectively the main bedroom cannot be used , and that I have to sleep in the lounge , a total waste of 170k , it was originally 180k , but the vendor bit my hand off ,even with a 10k drop , and this was when flats and houses were going for more than the asking price, now I know why , as we speak fhe neighbours children are staying over tonight and one of them is having a full on tantrum , oh well on go the ear pods

Sponsored Links
If you are going to do modifications, treble check your lease as well as any rules the management company maintains. If you violate any rules, you will have to revert everything back to original, which undoubtedly will cost you another bomb.
I am not go bother now , I would be absolutely gutted if I paid out 10k and it didn’t work , but thanks for pointing out this very valid point , I would never have thought of that , imagine how fed up I would have been if I did do the work

It seems strange that noise carries so easily in a relatively new apartment. I would have expected the concrete and bricks would almost prevent that

It was built in 1985, there are four flats in total 1 up 1 down on each side , , If Someone is in the communal hall downstairs talking , I can hear the conversation in my flat , when the tenant downstairs has his two children over , 10 and 7 , I pray for their bedtime as all I can hear is tantrums or giggling or them running around , I can hear every step , I purposefully chose an upstairs flat as I thought I would hear less, if he talks to someone all I can hear is him over my tv , I have upgraded my tv so I can now sync my EarPods and listen to the tv that way, imam Constantly stressed , the first day I moved in , I thought my sons were talking to me from another room, it Wasn’t them it was downstairs talking , it was so loud I assumed It was my sons , The gentlemen downstairs is renting and trying to save up and buy he informed me one of his sons is autistic and he is autistic as well and said his son has problems , think I have no choice but to eventually sell

House prices are the reason we live where we do. We bought a big house in open countryside for cash after selling our suburban slave box AND paying off the remaining mortgage.

There are lots of places in the UK where £170k can buy a decent house. Possibly even detached if you're prepared to put some work in.

Not the answer for everyone, but could be for some. Sometimes problems are the catalyst needed to re-evaluate everything. Clouds can have silver linings. We'd still be where we were if we hadn't had problem neighbours, but it turns out that almost every other part of our lives have improved thanks to their annoyance.

I think your quotes of 10k are a bit OTT.
Can your floorboards be lifted? or do you have chipboard floors under the carpet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back