noise from loft when windy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new property last week and it has been quite windy since. We notice (can't miss it really) that when the wind the wind blows there is a tapping sort of noise (irregular) coming from the loft area at the outside wall of the house and specifically from the corner of the dividing wall between the two bedrooms that are adjacent to the outside wall.

The house is about 15 years old, I have looked outside to check that there is nothing blowing against the outside wall, and I went into the loft to see if I could spot the cause. There is nothing obvious and to be honest although it is still audible when in the loft it is much quieter than the noise that can he heard in the bedrooms.

I lifted the insulation and all looks ok, so I thought that I would just add some extra strengthening braces to joints on the wooden joists in case it is somehow a degree of movement between them causing the noise, a bit like the creaking/tapping you expect to hear on an old wooden ship!.

I know it is impossible to diagnose this without hearing it but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a cure please?

Sponsored Links
rubble2, good evening.

Is there any sarking below the roof tiles? possibly a brown coloured soft board?

Or does the roof get ventilated from "soffit vents"?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I will have to check regarding the sarking and soffit ventilation but I am interested to hear your thinking on this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back