Noise from new Ideal Logic+ 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new Ideal Logic+ 30 combi installed a few weeks ago with a nest.

I didn't notice it immediately but certainly for most of the time it has been making quite an annoying noise when the heating is on, like an engine revving up and down.

Looking in the menu on the front of the boiler the noise corresponds to the pump speed switching between 100% and 85% on a cycle of about 12 seconds at 100% then about 12 seconds at 85%, repeatedly.

The boiler is in the loft. The noise is noticeable when sat in front of the boiler, but strangley doesn't really seem any louder than when I am sat in the living room, about as far away as I can be, as it's reverberating through the wall it is fixed to and audible throughout the house.

If it stayed at 100% it would be audible but not as annoying.

I tried switching off pump modulation in the menu but it made no difference.

Is it normal for the pump to modulate in this way and make 'some' noise?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. It is just when the central heating is on. I tried setting the pump modulation to 100% and it spent most of the time I sat watching the display at 100% but still occassionally went down to 85% for a few seconds. Presumably I am loosing some efficiency if I leave it at 100?

If this isn't normal then I'll call the installers back, but their customer service wasn't great and suspect they will say nothing is wrong so would like to feel informed first.

Are you sure it's the pump making that noise? You said it coincides with the pump speed modulating. Could this be the flue fan modulating with pump speed?
Try waiting for the noise to resume, then turn the heating temperature down slightly (reduce it no more than 5C). Does the noise change?

The fan speed reported on the display does fluctuate when the pump speed changes but then settles around about 55%.

If I remove the CH demand then the pump switches off but the fan remains around 55% for a few minutes with only a faint noise, not the deep rumbly noise that I can hear everywhere, so i suspect it is the pump.

If you mean the thermostat set temp then it seems the same with any demand, e.g. just above or a few degrees above room temp and I couldn't see or hear a difference while lowering it.

I have just noticed whilst watching the display that the gas valve changes from off with pump speed at 85% to on with pump speed at 100%.

Quite common for modulating pumps to be noisy , defo on Vaillant, had a few Ideal logics. It be under warranty so get them out to replace, in between time video the noise and so Ideal engineer
Hope this helps

Ok, thanks. I'll give the installers a call. Is it normal to modulate up and down on such a short cycle?

You have something stuck in the pump. It would have found its way in on installation. ;)

To give you an update.. I got onto Ideal who showed good customer service on the phone, very responsive, said it shouldn't be doing that and sent somebody.

They replaced the pump and it's stopped modulating so rapidly now, remaining at a more constant speed. Unfortunately still audible but seems that's just the way it is which is a shame. The old boiler was silent (when it wasn't broken).

We had fun and games with the Nest. As the boiler supports opentherm, Ideal should train their technicians on it (not limited to Ideal actually as the installers didn't get it right first time either). The guy knew nothing at all about Nest. He changed the pcb for a newer version and the Nest stopped working. After saying the nest was faulty (strange coincidence that would be) he put the old board back in and it worked. So something to bare in mind if you come across it, the "c" board didn't work but the original "b" board did. Reason for changing it in the first place was a design change that stops opentherm devices overriding the controls on the front of the boiler (which it says in the manual it does).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back