Noise on phone when using internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Everyone

Problem is when I use the house phone and the internet is in use there is always a soft shhh but quite loud sound which makes it difficult to hear especially when someone rings up the house.

The pc is upstairs and was run from a long telephone extension lead and was doing it then but is now run from a phone socket I fitted a month back upstairs wired from the master socket downstairs but we still get the noise.

This only happens when the internet/computer is switched on, not sure if it does with just the computer only on though since I don't that often use the house phone myself.

We didn't have the problem though however when we first had the internet in the summer/last Easter, it only started a little later.

Any Ideas what the problem could be and what to do about it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is the computer on broadband? If so, do you have a micro-filter on each phone?

Have you got your ADSL filters plugged in ??? you need one at every telephone point you have a telephone plugged in , not just where your PC is.
If you already have these plugged in then it is a faulty filter on the telephone socket where you can hear the noise , the sshhhh noise you are talking about is White Noise (Data transfer) and the filter unit is desgined to split this .. thats why on the filter unit there is a point for data and a point for telephone.

Sponsored Links
HI

Yes there is an ADSL MF50 filter plugged in where the pc is but not where the telephone is downstairs-yes I was sure there was one dowstairs when we first had the internet which is what I was trying to tell everybody else at home.

Anyway, thanks for your help and I will get back here if there is any more problems.

Meanwhile I will have to look for the filter-god help me find it!!!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back