Noise pollution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm prepping my kitchen for a refit and I have to get old tile adhesive off the floor, I'm using a sds drill and under no illusions how loud it is. So much so my neighbor has come round tonight to ask me to stop quite politely which I was about to stop anyway, I have made a point of not going past 7pm The thing is I've still got a couple of nights worth to do, am I within my rights to carry on. What do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
If you were asked politely, then you should respect your neighbours request, but try to come to some mutually agreeable time.
Is there a solvent you could use to soften the adhesive, then just scrape it away?

Wotan

I do respect their request but I need to have this up by the weekend and their isn't a quiet way of doing it. The only time I have to do this is on an evening as I'm at work all day and don't get home until about 5:15pm, do you think it's reasonable to do it for the next 2 evenings up till 6:30?

I also have been doing a lot of work. My solution was to pop round with a nice bottle of wine, and let them know I will be done in a few days and stop at 7.30pm each night.
Worked a treat.

Sponsored Links
I do respect their request but I need to have this up by the weekend and their isn't a quiet way of doing it. The only time I have to do this is on an evening as I'm at work all day and don't get home until about 5:15pm, do you think it's reasonable to do it for the next 2 evenings up till 6:30?
If you explain the situation and promise to stop at a set time, then if they are decent people they should accept the situation, have they any young babies in the home?

Wotan

Thanks, think my plan of action is to go round tonight explaining that I'll be 2 more nights going no later than 6:30 then once I'm done pop round with some treats for them, flowers, chocolates, wine. Think thats reasonable.

If you explain the situation and promise to stop at a set time, then if they are decent people they should accept the situation, have they any young babies in the home?

Wotan

Thats my plan, they haven't got any young babies, we do however have a 4 month old, my wife goes upstairs when I'm working. They do have 2 teenagers.

Telling them what you are doing is the absolute best thing you can do. I had some neighbours that would play music all the time late at night and it is the not knowing when it will start or stop that makes it such a stressful time.

A bottle of wine would never go amiss. You are within your rights to make noise unless you are renting there may be rules in the tenancy agreement that say you can't.

6:30 is extremely reasonable I think. I was expecting it to be until like 11pm etc.

It's not you that's being antisocial - it's them. Tell them to contact the Council - who will put them straight.

Thanks, think my plan of action is to go round tonight explaining that I'll be 2 more nights going no later than 6:30 then once I'm done pop round with some treats for them, flowers, chocolates, wine. Think thats reasonable.

What a nice neighbour you are......
I hope they appreciate you :)

I also have been doing a lot of work. My solution was to pop round with a nice bottle of wine, and let them know I will be done in a few days and stop at 7.30pm each night.
Worked a treat.

Exactly.

A lot of problems are caused not just by the noise, but by lack of communication.

Also, if you are able to establish a positive relationship with your neighbour(s), they are more likely to accept the disruption caused by your work.

Sponsored Links
Back