Skimming walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there.... i'm just in the process of "re-doing" the bathroom, and have removed some old ceramic tiles....... leaving the remmants of tile adhesive etc. my question is..... I wanted to try skimming the wall myself,and i'm under no illusions that, I,m in for a difficult (if not impossible) job..... but I still want to have a go!!..... any tips, would be very gratefully received, regarding surface prep, technique, etc.....many thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't necessarily to need to re-skim before tiling, are you planning to completely re-tile over what's left or will there be some plastered finish?

.... was going to skim wall, if possible, and not re-tile..... but other walls are partially tiled, and I was going to tile over the top of these, but some of the wall areas need to be "brought up" to the level of the original tiles, by possibly putting on a skim of finish plaster..... what do you think....... Many Thanks :rolleyes:

if your going to have a skim finish on one wall and it has tile adhesive on there use a steamer to get the tile adhesive off you will find the adhesive comes off very easy, and yes you can use skim to help level up to the existing tiles on the other walls

Sponsored Links
Tiling over tiles is not a particularly good idea, it is possible but it’s really a bodge; far better to remove them & start again. If I’ve understood correctly; bringing a partially tiled wall out to the same level as the tiles with plaster is an even worse idea. Standard wall tiles are usually between 4-6mm thick which is too much for a skim of Finish plaster, it will need an initial skim of Bonding plaster & then a finish skim.

My advice would be do it properly, take the tiles off & prep the walls for either re-tiling or re-plastering as you want them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back