Skimming where tiles used to be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Have decided to re-do the bathroom and want to do as much of the work myself as possible (even though I'm a novice).
The bathroom currently has tiles half way up the walls, all the way around the bathroom, but when we re-do it I only intend on tiling in the shower enclosure, around the bath and above the sink. The rest of it, I intend on skimming over and painting.

My question is this (may be a silly question, but like I said I'm a novice):-

When I remove the tiles, there will obviously be a lot left over tile adhesive still stuk to the wall. How important is it to completely remove all the adhesive and get the wall as smoth as possible before applying the skim ? Or will this not matter as the new skim will cover this up anyway ?

I know plastering is a skilled job but I thought "what the hell I'll give it a whirl", if I make a mess of it I'll just get a pro in to cover up my shoddy work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You want to remove as much of the tile adhesive as possible. Either steaming or the use of a heat gun can help with full removal of the adhesive.
If any bobbles or peaks are left remaining this can make it difficult to get a nice flat, smooth, even finish.
The area to plastered will also require to be primed (two coat prime) before skimming and a two coat skim would be recommended.

Thanks PrenticeBoyof Derry.

One more question:-

I assume that I will need to skim all the way from floor up to the ceiling to get a good finish, even though half of the wall was already skimmed previously ?

Also, on the half of the wall that is already painted, can I skim straight over or will I need to remove all of the paint first ? Will I have problems with adhesion of the skim to the wall if I skim over a painted surface ?

Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back