Bathroom; where skim meets tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Would just like to run my plan of attack for my new upstairs shower room past some people with experience! I've trawled the internet and think I've came up with the right order for doing things. Any info or advice is more than welcome!

Shower room has vapour board around all walls/ceiling that will not get wet. The shower itself is enclosed tight to shower tray with three walls (one of them runs vertical then meets the coom/angle of the roof which will be tiled). These walls are cement backer board (hardie backer). Plan is to tile from shower tray to ceiling and then skim and paint the rest of the room. On two walls I'll have a point where the tiles meet the skimmed, painted area (these walls therefore have a cement board to plasterboard joint). I'll also be using a tile trim along the tile edges.

From what I've read I plan to;
  • Mark where my tiles run to, skim just past this area trying to "fade in" so as not to leave a noticeable layer of plaster
  • Tank the shower area (area under tiles) with Mapei aquadefense
  • Fit shower tray
  • Tile areas
  • Finally, paint skimmed walls

Is the above the best way to tackle the room? I had considered tank and tiling then skimming to the tiles but after reading on this site I think skimming first is the best option.

Also as some areas of the cement boards will end up skimmed (without tiles) due to the ease of fitting the boards. I plan to skrim the joints but should I use Febond blue grit on cement boards first before plastering?

Sponsored Links
Use this. You can plaster or tile it.

Maybe?

Plaster first just past where tiles will go

Thanks for the quick reply wayners!

Tbh I never knew that product existed and looks ideal for what I’d need. Unfortunately I’ve already installed the cement boards and just have a couple areas to fit the plasterboards in the rest of the room.

Thank you for confirming the order of process tho, and I’ll definitely keep the element boards in mind if doing a similar job in future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back