Noisey high level cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved in to a fairly basic old terraced council house. The bathroom suite seems to be an original, or at least a fairly old, affair, with lovely square edges, thick sides and is very "retro". Thing is, the cistern is a horrid bake-a-lite affair, though it is a high level one which is nice.

After I flush it its making a hell of a noise, during the refill stage, like a mix between a whooshing and a whistling. Its right next to what will be my daughters room, and I'm worried that when she comes to stay no one will be able to flush for fear of waking her up.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise ? Someone has suggested replacing the ball cock with one that "fills from the bottom" or simply replace the entire cistern. The latter seems a good option, though I can't afford it, as the flush is also a bit weak and it seems to have problems if you use too much toilet roll!

Ok, so, does anyone know if there is anything i can do easily/cheaply to reduce the noise from the cistern when it fills up after a flush ?

Olly

Sponsored Links
Fit a "Torbec" valve as a straight replacement, available from the sheds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back