Cistern Flushing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,

Just installed a new downstairs toilet. First time, everything worked fine. Had to disconnect the toilet to access some pipework on another job so when I re-instated the pane and cistern a problem has developed.
When flushed, the toilet continues to flush (not at full rate, but more than a trickle), when I lift the cistern lid the flush stops and the cistern fills to correct level and stops. Flushing with the lid off works fine, cant see anything obviously wrong. Nothing seems to be sticking.
Anyone advise me to what to be looking for please.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Push button flush? Maybe the button is holding the flush mechanism open, or if its a cable type perhaps the cable has been rerouted incorrectly, and its catching something when the lid is on.
If its a handle flush, I reckon the handle is being depressed a bit by the cistern lid.
John :)

Sorry, its a push button.
It works fine with the lid off, but when the lids on it happens. Obviously, cant see what catching when its on. Cant see anything blindly obvious wrong with the cable or how its routed. The trouble shooting paperwork might as well be written in chinese for all the sense it makes.

Like I said, cant make out anything blindly obvious wrong. I thinks its the cable but cant see how...

Dave.

remove the cable from the buttons and spay wd40 down the inner cable and operate by hand a few times it will free the cable from sticking in the outer cable

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't happen to be a B&Q toilet to go would it?

I've installed 3 of these and on 2 of them the spring in the push button has come unravelled, got caught in the button and stopped the cable from returning. The springs are very flimsy.

Sorry for the delay in replying....
Well, took off the cable 2-3 times, tried to see what might be causing the problem. Jiggled things a bit, flushed a few times with the lid off, all working fine, lid back on, tried again and now working...pfft!!!

Well, fingers crossed it stays working....
Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.

Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back