push button toilet - constant flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Newbie here, I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to fix a problem I have regarding my push button toilet please?

With my toilet, there are the two flush buttons - full and half - when using the half flush all is well, however, when I use the full flush the toilet continues to trickle and never stops.

It's a hidden cistern, so the only access I have is to remove the push button panel (on the front of the toilet) and therefore not a great visibility. What seems to be happening is that when the full flush button is pressed, the "lid" that lifts to open the cistern down to the basin and the toilet flushes but the "lid" never drops down fully so water continues to go through and the cistern never fills. If I put my hand in, I can push the "lid " down and stop the trickle.

With the half flush button the "lid" drops straight down and therefore stops the trickling. I can't figure what's causing the full flush not to do the same.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi ynekyneb

Only guesses I'm afraid, but is the "full" part of the button sticking and not returning. If its a cable link is the cable kinked or bent at a sharp angle causing the cable to catch when fully depressed, is there any adjustment that might mean the flap is being opened slightly more than it should so snagging in some way?

Best wishes,
footprints

hello, thanks for replying, the button itself doesn't seem to stick and the cable isn't kinked either so it seems to be something with the thing that lifts to let the water down into the bowl not dropping down fully (even though it does with the half flush). If I use the half flush after the full flush it is still broken- I have to put my hand in and press it down- very confusing!

Sponsored Links
1 over time limescale builds up and the flush valve is catching when it lists up

2 you have put one of those horrendous blue blocks in your cistern

3 again with the limescale but on the washer that seals when it drops back down

the solution is to turn the water off and remove the flush valve. most just twist and pop out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back