Noisy 1st floor Flooring (not creaking)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Season greeting! :)

I live in a 3 storey, 11 year old house. When we moved in 6 months ago i noticed the chipboard flooring creaking in one of the 1st floor rooms. I have since added extra screws to the boards (near the original nails) and the creaking has pretty much gone. I added screws to the edges and one mid board, so about 50% of the original nails.

The floor is noisy, as in 'bang-y'. If someone walks across the room it can be felt and definitely heard. It doesnt feel bouncy as such, more vibrating?!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it is like this, and more to the point how i can resolve it. Im slowly going through the rooms decorating and sorting issues and feel that this might be a bigger job so am trying to get prepared.

Sponsored Links
And compliments of the season to you also...

re the 'bang-y' floor - did you use 'rolled' screws? i.e. fully threarded ones. If so did you drill clearence holes for them in the flooring? If you didn't then I'd expect the flooring to have 'ramped up' when the screws broke through the boaord. By now the chipboard around the screws to have given way and the boards to move when walked on. Best suggestion is getthe screws out, drill clearence holes through the chiipboard and replace or renew the screws. Originally I'd have suggested using 1&3/4 or 2 inch No 8's (4x40's) but you could go up to 2inch 10's (5x50)
You do need clearance holes in the boards but not in the joists.

Last edited:
Thanks wgt52,

I used Floortite screws (4.2x45mm) which are not threaded all the way through, and apparently do not need a pilot hole.

My 'glass half empty' brain was shouting out that there is a problem with joists etc but doing a bit of research, apparently symptom of that is bouncy floors, which i dont think i have, but i can only liken that to the feeling of a badly fitted laminate floor. This room is above the biggest room in the house and so the joists have the biggest span.

One thing i have maybe overlooked is the carpets and underlay, which would be originals. So 11 years of abuse may have rendered the underlay pretty useless, although they don't feel too bad.
Could underlay make much of a difference?

Do make sure the screws remain tight. Is the unthreaded part of the skank longer than the thickness of the flooring? Althought webpage says that a pilot hole is not necessary I'd still think about a clearance hole in the flooring.

Sponsored Links
The unthreaded part is 10mm. If I'm honest I do not know for sure what size sheets have been used.

I have just been messing around in the room. If I thump the floor with a closed fist the noise feels 'raw' like it is resonating along the joists and I can feel it in knees.

Thanks for your help wgt52, I will get the carpet up and check the screws I have added.

flooring is either 18 or 22mm thick.

Ok so there is a chance they are separating.

Should I remove the screws, pilot then refit in the same place or would the flooring be damaged so I need to rescrew in a new location.?

chipboard flooring

Terrible material.

Builders like it because its cheap.

Start thinking about taking it up and laying ply.

One room at a time, perhaps as you redecorate or buy new carpet.

apparently do not need a pilot hole
remove the screws, pilot

No, not a damn pilot hole!!! :mad::LOL:

you drill clearance holes
I'd still think about a clearance hole

Like wgt52 says, a clearance hole!!!! :p:whistle:

So, a 4.5mm hole, ONLY through the chipboard, not into the joists below. In the past I have snapped a drill in half and re-sharpened the tip, so that when it's in the chuck of a drill it is the exact length needed. Any longer and the bit will pull itself down into the wood, which can bugger everything up. Either do that, buy a 4.5mm stubby drill bit or put a small block of wood onto the drill bit so that the 'sticking out bit' is the right length.

If you have laminate down then the noise is the slap of board on board, probably no underlay , needs the thicker type to reduce noise but you will always hear footsteps on laminate floor over timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back