Noisy back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a noisy cast iron back boiler, and have searched 'noisy boilers', and see there are many failed attempts at curing this.

My boiler pops and clatters, more as it gets hot. I don't want acid to eat through my rads, is this possible? And wonder if I should turn them off while the acid circulates the boiler and pipes.

When I was doing another job, I could hear flakes falling inside the hot water tank, presumably limescale.

I drained the expansion tank which had an inch coating of brown, flaky rusty, sludge at the bottom.

If the odds are most likely it will still be noisy, I'll leave well alone.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
You don't say what sort your boiler is? Gas or solid fuel and make etc. Either way acid treatment of a cast iron heat exchanger is not advised. Just add a system silencer to the circulating water and hope that it quietens down.
Sounds to me like a very old system and needs upgrading. Scale inside a cylinder is common and once it builds up is not removeable and means a new cylinder.

You don't say what sort your boiler is? Gas or solid fuel and make etc. Either way acid treatment of a cast iron heat exchanger is not advised. Just add a system silencer to the circulating water and hope that it quietens down.
Sounds to me like a very old system and needs upgrading. Scale inside a cylinder is common and once it builds up is not removeable and means a new cylinder.

Thorn houswarmer economy, gas, fitted 1986.

As it works ok, apart from the early morning wake up call, I intend to help it along till doomsday, then change it.

If I can get away with system silencer, this sound a good idea.

Thanks, Camerart.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back