Cleaning out cast iron boiler

The kettling in our boiler became progressively worse over some years, and last year I decided to try the DS40. Time will tell if it's a long-term solution - I imagine that the scale build-up will return over time, in which case I'll use DS40 again. Good luck with yours!

Thanks Robin7,

I think that if the sludge has been flushed out, and had a chemical clean, as long as inhibitor is added, it probably won't bang again.

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
The kettling in our boiler became progressively worse over some years, and last year I decided to try the DS40. Time will tell if it's a long-term solution - I imagine that the scale build-up will return over time, in which case I'll use DS40 again. Good luck with yours!

Thanks Robin7,

I don't know what the difference is between DS3 and DS40, but both have been suggested. I have ordered some DS3, but since ordering it, I have been told that I will soon be looking for a new boiler, as DS3 is very aggressive:(

Cheers, Camerart.

I used the Ds3 (Rads off) and although the noise is much quieter, it still makes some.

When I flushed it out, there was more black sludge than I thought in the boiler, as I have flushed it quite a few times before.

My guess is that even though the Ds3 worked, it couldn't get to the limescale under the sludge in the boiler, so I probably should have had a power flush before.

Cheers, Camerart.

Hi camerart, so two years on how did this perform please? Have you had to repeat the cleaning since?

I'm in a similar position now with kettling/banging boiler noise after I attempted to clean my whole system by running Sentinel X400 round it for a could of weeks. I think all this did was deposit crud in the HX which I never managed to successfully flush out. I'm now considering using something like Fernox DS40 round the boiler and hot water tank coil in an attempt to concentrate cleaning of the HX.

Sponsored Links
Hi camerart, so two years on how did this perform please? Have you had to repeat the cleaning since?

I'm in a similar position now with kettling/banging boiler noise after I attempted to clean my whole system by running Sentinel X400 round it for a could of weeks. I think all this did was deposit crud in the HX which I never managed to successfully flush out. I'm now considering using something like Fernox DS40 round the boiler and hot water tank coil in an attempt to concentrate cleaning of the HX.

I actually took the hot water cylinder outside, removed the coil and knocked the calcium out. I flushed out from different directions (Different radiator drain points, water hose) the used the chemical, then inhibitor. Still quiet, with very slight noise when it starts, and perhaps when I turn it up later in the year.

Best of luck.

C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back