Noisy boiler X200

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have flushed and chemically cleaned my central heating system the best I can. It now working ok, and the boiler is much quieter than before. It has been dosed with Sentinel X100.

Now I want to add X200 as the final thing. I will add it onto the system the same way as the X100. Turn off a Radiator, remove the bleed valve and other top plug. fit a funnel, drain a bit off, then top up and seal.

I want to know if it is better to open all of the radiators to circulate the X200, or just have the 'fill' rad and the boiler working for a while, so there is maximum concentration going to the boiler, before opening the rest of the rads?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
I reckon it would work better if you turn off all the other radiators, so it is flowing round the boiler more concentrated.

You describe trying to pour it in through a radiator. This must mean you have a sealed system with no feed and expansion tank in the loft, right? You will have to repressurise the system afterwards or the boiler will not start. You will have to leave that rad turned on, and run the CH for ten minutes or so, to get the liquid circulating.

You can leave all the other rads turned off until winter.

BTW what cleaning chemical did you use?

Chuck it in and run the 1 radiator with the rest closed off unless you want heating on!

What boiler is it? x200 works ok on older boilers with cast iron heat exchangers, not so geat on newer type, copper / ally / stainless heat exchangers.

I reckon it would work better if you turn off all the other radiators, so it is flowing round the boiler more concentrated.

You describe trying to pour it in through a radiator. This must mean you have a sealed system with no feed and expansion tank in the loft, right? You will have to repressurise the system afterwards or the boiler will not start. You will have to leave that rad turned on, and run the CH for ten minutes or so, to get the liquid circulating.

You can leave all the other rads turned off until winter.

BTW what cleaning chemical did you use?

This is an open system, with a tank in the loft. I use this method (right or wrong) because in the past a plumber put the inhibitor in the tank and didn't let it into the system I had then, with rusty results.

Without going into the loft or turning the stop cock off. I just put chemicals into the top of the easiest radiator, seal it, bleed it, job done.

This is a Housewarmer 45 cast iron back boiler.

Previously, I have drained the system, removed the water tank and cleaned it outside, flushed the system through 4 or 5 points with a garden hose and pressure pump. Chemically I used a plumbers own cleaner, then following advice (I think you gave me some, as this has been going on for months) flushed it out, then x400 two times, then added X100, and last this time X200.

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
X200 should work a treat on an old BBU :D

Putting it in the radiator you know 100% of that chemical is in the system. I try to avoid pouring chemicals ino header tanks if i can help it.

X200 should work a treat on an old BBU :D

Putting it in the radiator you know 100% of that chemical is in the system. I try to avoid pouring chemicals ino header tanks if i can help it.

My thinking exactly!

In practice I emptied 2X the amount out of the rad into a bucket, then added the chemical. Then I added as much of the removed 'water' back till it came out of the holes, put the plugs back in and it even didn't need bleeding.

Cheers, Camerart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back