noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Suprima 30-80 wall hung boiler. The water comes on at the same time every morning, its fine for about 1 minute and then it sounds, well, like a steam train (is the only way I can describe it). I thought the burners might be blocked but not so, Ive changed the pump also but to no avail, does anyone have any suggestions.
K Hayes

Sponsored Links
Check that there is water in the system by checking the level of water in the Feed and Expansion tank in the loft if there is water it may be an airlock consider using a desludger and flushing the system out refilling and then seeing what happens.

I had an old cast iron boiler that 'kettled' due to build up of hardness. Use of system cleaner removed scale and reduced gas consumption.
Newer boilers with thinner metal are more vulnerable to damage if get furred up as water boils in localised parts of boiler.

I wish I had an answer. I too have a Potterton 30 80 and was told the fan was on the way out. I have had this changed, Boiler only 2 years old but no good. I cannot seem to get a response from Potterton. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Check that the boiler is correctly installed as per the manufacturers instructions and that the correct size pipework has been used for the flow & return pipes for the boiler.Also check that the burner gas pressure is correctly set (get corgi engineer to check). If all this is correct and the system is free of sludge, air and debris then it probably a faulty heat exchanger, our company have changed 2 this year with the same fault.

My Suprima 80 won't light at all. To start with it started making a rattling noise. Then it cust out twice in two days, forcing a reset. Then the reset wouldn't work. The rattling has now given way to a buzzing. Engineer says its the fan assembly. Of cource, it would be a part that costs over £90 ex VAT.... Can't these things be checked/cleaned? I'm a little concerned that it could be a stuck fan rather than a burned out one.

if it is stuck then after a time it will burn out.
Why not ask british gas for a quote? then take oput the 5 star service cover. I did

Anonymous said:
I wish I had an answer. I too have a Potterton 30 80 and was told the fan was on the way out. I have had this changed, Boiler only 2 years old but no good. I cannot seem to get a response from Potterton. Any ideas?

I have a potterton flowsure plus oil Boiler newly fitted 6 weeks ago the only way to get a response from Potterton is to bombard them with e-mails. [email protected].

vERY POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS FROM THEM ONCE THE SALE IS COMPLETED.

Hopeful Fix...Same Boiler
[/b
This happened to me a couple of weeks after adding Fernox MB1 Central Heating Protector. If this was the cause, it was probably because I did not follow the instructions correctly. I wish now that I had cleaned out the header tank as advised, there was a brown sludge in the bottom which was probably cardboard left by the builders of the house.

I Had the boiler serviced...same problem.
In desperaion, i opened the boiler up, only three screws. It was clear that the fault wasn't the fan.
Drained water direct from Boiler Drain plug hoping to clear potential blockage....no change, as noisy as ever.
Drained system and added Fernox DS-40 Descaler and Cleanser.
As the system is only 3 years old it is unlikely to need descaling but I banked on the cleanser bit working.....IT DID!

I did it by the book this time. Leave it running for about 5 days. It makes an awfull noise and produces loads of gas requiring daily bleeding of the radiators..stick with it, its worth it.
You will need to put a neutraliser (supplied) in and flush out a few times before putting protector back in. After the first drain of the Cleanser I could tell he problem had gone away.

The only thing I am unsure of is whether it would have gone away anyway if I had tried simply draining the system completely and refilling it!

Good Luck, I hope this works for you.

Blackadder22 said:
Check that there is water in the system by checking the level of water in the Feed and Expansion tank in the loft if there is water it may be an airlock consider using a desludger and flushing the system out refilling and then seeing what happens.

The above certainly worked for me, try draining and refilling, if that doesn't work use a Cleanser. (Fernox DS-40 worked in my case).

Dear Mr Hayes,
I had a massive extension done on my house over the summer. CH was drained down and refilled a couple of times over the three month period. I had already bought some "Protex" CH system Protector, but didn't want to add it until I had added a conservatory radiator, some 4 months after the first drain down.
Was woken one morning at 04:30 by steam train sounds, accompanied by popping and banging - "Kettling" described the sound perfectly.
Shut off the header tank supply, drained down a couple of gallons, then fed my Protex directly into the header tank line.
Went away for a couple of days, and on my return, most of the kettling had gone.

A month or so later, drained system down - added radiator, then added "Scalex" and "Protex" and refilled system. It runs like a dream now
with no noise.

The "Protex" in an inhibitor, "Scalex" is a descaler that does not require flushing out. If the system is really bad, then you could try "Flushex" first (fill, run & drain) then the other fluids.

A word of caution when using "Flushing" fluids. My brothers flat had a radiator which would not come on. We suspected a blockage, so flushed system through. Next day, the hot water tank coils started leaking CH water into the hot water tank, and a month later, the flat below reported "light rain" from the ceiling - a joint below the floor had let go!

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back